Honored Contributor

Re: Holy cow ! the price of my allergy medicine ....

@maestrawrote:

@Trinity11wrote:

@Laura14wrote:

Go to GoodRX dot com to find the best price in your area.  We recommend it all the time at the pharmacy.    

Also, doing exactly what @151949 did by searching for coupons online from manufacturers or others can also help bring your price down.  

We have Caremark so we have to use CVS.

@Trinity11wrote:

@Laura14wrote:

Go to GoodRX dot com to find the best price in your area.  We recommend it all the time at the pharmacy.    

Also, doing exactly what @151949 did by searching for coupons online from manufacturers or others can also help bring your price down.  

@GoodRx is used @ CVS also.

I once tried bringing a coupon and my prescription plan would not allow access to using it. I was never given a good reason why.

Honored Contributor

@Nightowlzwrote:

@Trinity11wrote:

@Laura14wrote:

@Trinity11 Are you sure you have to use CVS? That's also what I thought until I found out different. We also have Caremark.

@Nightowlz....Yes until we both go on Medicare my husband's company only uses Caremark for our prescription needs. It has been this way for about ten years now.

Honored Contributor

@Nightowlzwrote:

@Trinity11wrote:

@Laura14wrote:

@Trinity11 Are you sure you have to use CVS? That's also what I thought until I found out different. We also have Caremark.

@Nightowlz  Thank you for pointing this out.  I went ahead and looked and it looks like Caremark has lots of participating pharmacies according to Google. 

Always make that 800 call on your card to be sure but here is what I found as to who apparently takes this pharmacy card:

https://www.caremark.com/portal/asset/rxsavings_pharm.pdf 

Honored Contributor

@Laura14wrote:

@Nightowlzwrote:

@Trinity11wrote:

@Laura14wrote:

@Nightowlz  Thank you for pointing this out.  I went ahead and looked and it looks like Caremark has lots of participating pharmacies according to Google. 

Always make that 800 call on your card to be sure but here is what I found as to who apparently takes this pharmacy card:

My husband's company ONLY allows us to fill our prescriptions at CVS. I am positive of this because I called about getting my insulin perhaps cheaper elsewhere and was told only mail order would charge me less. I tried mail order and besides it not arriving on time, it once arrived heated.

Prescription plans are purchased by the company you work for. If that company decides only one place can fill your prescriptions....well, you have no choice.

Honored Contributor

@Laura14wrote:

@Nightowlzwrote:

@Trinity11wrote:

@Laura14wrote:

@Laura14 Long List. Only 2 of them located where I live. CVS & Wal-Mart. LOL!!!

Honored Contributor

@Trinity11  That's so unusual to me to hear a company is dictating an actual pharmacy.  What if CVS isn't convenient or you go on vacation where they don't exist? 

Pharmacies are not attached to insurance plans other than being an in network provider or not.  It may be cheaper to go there and be in network but never has anyone been exclusive to a specific corporate plan. 

I'm not sure how one company would dictate mandatory sales to a completely separate one.  I am sure that would be in violation of anti-trust laws. I have got to be missing something here.  

The only mandatory issues I have ever had with prescriptions on any of my company insurance plans and I have had 5 separate owners in 10 years has been the tiered co pays and mail order requirement for maintenance drugs but never who could fill my prescription.   I can go where ever I want and have. 

Honored Contributor

@Nightowlz  LOL!  Luckily those are the two I've utilized in the past few years on the off occasion I have something to fill.  

Honored Contributor

@Laura14wrote:

@Trinity11  That's so unusual to me to hear a company is dictating an actual pharmacy.  What if CVS isn't convenient or you go on vacation where they don't exist? 

Pharmacies are not attached to insurance plans other than being an in network provider or not.  It may be cheaper to go there and be in network but never has anyone been exclusive to a specific corporate plan. 

I'm not sure how one company would dictate mandatory sales to a completely separate one.  I am sure that would be in violation of anti-trust laws. I have got to be missing something here.  

The only mandatory issues I have ever had with prescriptions on any of my company insurance plans and I have had 5 separate owners in 10 years has been the tiered co pays and mail order requirement for maintenance drugs but never who could fill my prescription.   I can go where ever I want and have. 

@Laura14I did try Walmart which is listed...same with Walgreens and neither would accept my insurance card.

I even called my husband's company a few times over the years and was given the same story.....only CVS in my area of the country was their designated pharmacy.

Honored Contributor

Wow @Trinity11, learning something today.  Very odd company.  Not sure if someone took that to court that the company would win.  I'm so sorry you have to be hamstrung like that.        

Honored Contributor

@Laura14wrote:

Wow @Trinity11, learning something today.  Very odd company.  Not sure if someone took that to court that the company would win.  I'm so sorry you have to be hamstrung like that.        

@Laura14.....I just called CVS/Caremark and the rep told me I have the ability to opt out of the plan and go elsewhere after filling a 3 months supply of all my meds. The one clincher, though, is that I would end up paying far more with reduced payments from Caremark on all of my prescriptions. A basically no win situation...