Respected Contributor

I didn’t want to not vote but today was my Mom’s funeral.  Son went to vote and called us saying there were only 5 people on the line. Made a split second decision to run over and cast our vote quickly so as not to feel rushed to get to the service. Get there and the line was out the door.

We decided to stay and hoped the line would move fast. Some woman in front of us was voting for the first time and  decides to have her mom bring her toddler over so she can hold the child while she goes through the line. Then her mother decides to take pictures so the line comes to a standstill. New voter has to show license which means she has to juggle child from side to side while trying to dig that out of handbag.  Any other time this would’ve been cute but today I had too much on my mind. While we’re stopped people start coming over to me to express condolences and between our frustration over our tight time schedule and people stopping to console me I just broke down. 

Just a tear filled day for me. Life is like that I guess.

Honored Contributor

@Kalli

I'm so sorry for your loss.

Esteemed Contributor

@Drythe wrote:

@Sweetbay magnolia wrote:

I had a paper jam.

Hopefully my vote got counted!  The official seemed none too concerned and managed to get it through the scanner (I was not "hard" enough).

@Sweetbay magnolia

The pollsters are saying it’s so humid here in the south the paper is swollen and hard to force through.

I’ve literally had to microwave paper a bit to dry it out.  Like 15 Or 20 seconds.

@Drythe, save those little silica gel packs that come in so many things.  They work wonders with paper.

The eyes through which you see others may be the same as how they see you.
Honored Contributor

@Kalli wrote:

I didn’t want to not vote but today was my Mom’s funeral.  Son went to vote and called us saying there were only 5 people on the line. Made a split second decision to run over and cast our vote quickly so as not to feel rushed to get to the service. Get there and the line was out the door.

We decided to stay and hoped the line would move fast. Some woman in front of us was voting for the first time and  decides to have her mom bring her toddler over so she can hold the child while she goes through the line. Then her mother decides to take pictures so the line comes to a standstill. New voter has to show license which means she has to juggle child from side to side while trying to dig that out of handbag.  Any other time this would’ve been cute but today I had too much on my mind. While we’re stopped people start coming over to me to express condolences and between our frustration over our tight time schedule and people stopping to console me I just broke down. 

Just a tear filled day for me. Life is like that I guess.

@Kalli, I'm so sorry for your loss.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Esteemed Contributor

Yes, @Drythe, I could see where the "curl" of the paper made a difference.  I think originally it was "up" and it needed to be "down".

Oy.  It is humid here today.  I'm in VA.

Cogito ergo sum
Esteemed Contributor

@KalliSincere condolences on the loss of your mom. Keeping you in my thoughts during this difficult time and sending strength for the days ahead.

Hope after the hassles at your Pollling place, you were able to return for the service with family and friends. Your mom would be so proud of you for taking time to vote. Blessings. 

Money screams; wealth whispers.
Honored Contributor

We don't have early voting.  Usually the midterms are pretty bad with only a small group of people voting.  This year was different.

On the ballot is a governor..  The battle was huge. Both spent millions.

We were there right after 4 pm.  There were 4 people in front of us. It went fast.

My neighbor who  works there said this was the busiest voting day he has ever seen.  He said there were lines all day, but we picked a slow time.

Honored Contributor

I went.

I voted.

And all I got was an earlier drinking time on Sunday mornings. 

Cheers! 

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

I live and vote in Texas.

The machines are messing up...my ballot may have been in error.

Wish there had been an early warning system about this!

~Have a Kind Heart, Fierce Mind, Brave Spirit~
Trusted Contributor

@cherry wrote:

We vote by absentee ballot and I hope we always can

I do to.  Yesterday the weather was terrible.