Esteemed Contributor

Holy Cow, A Really Big Baby!!!

A woman in Elmira gave birth to a 15lb., yes 15, girl.  Mom has type 2 diabetes.  she was only given a 15% chance of conceiving without IVF. I assume, hope, it was ceasarean, article didn't say.  Our DD was 9 lbs., son was 6lb. 11oz. I can't even imagine.

Trusted Contributor

Re: Holy Cow, A Really Big Baby!!!

@CrazyKittyLvr2 wrote:

A woman in Elmira gave birth to a 15lb., yes 15, girl.  Mom has type 2 diabetes.  she was only given a 15% chance of conceiving without IVF. I assume, hope, it was ceasarean, article didn't say.  Our DD was 9 lbs., son was 6lb. 11oz. I can't even imagine.

@CrazyKittyLvr2:  “ouch”

Honored Contributor

Back in the day when I was babysitting one family had a new baby he was 10 lbs....when we went to visit after the birth, he did not look or feel like a newborn...mom was a tiny woman!  

Honored Contributor

My 60 yr old brother was 9lbs 6 ounces, My Mom was only 5 ft3, back then there were not many big babies

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.
Honored Contributor

I was present during a c-section once where the baby was quite large, the OB lifted him up and said this one is going to drive home 😂 

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Honored Contributor

I just hope that she and baby are healthy.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Esteemed Contributor

I just read a different article with more info. Baby was 15lbs. 5oz.and 23.2in. long. Is doing ok but was in NICU to have sugar and oxygen levels checked.  It was a ceasarean, Mom said it took 3 Drs. and medical vaccum to get her out, she got stuck under Mom's ribs. Said she felt like she was hit by a truck.  Two other kids, 1 biological son weighed 11lbs., and 1 adopted. Both are doing well. 

Honored Contributor

Back in the day when I was taking x-rays there was a baby that needed films (new born) that weighed 14 lbs.

'cuz every girl's crazy 'bout a sharp dressed man
Respected Contributor

@Mom2Dogs wrote:

Back in the day when I was babysitting one family had a new baby he was 10 lbs....when we went to visit after the birth, he did not look or feel like a newborn...mom was a tiny woman!  

My daughter was 10.5 lbs. 😃

Honored Contributor

All i can say is, "ouch!"

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment