Honored Contributor

Back in December 2001, my son and I spent Christmas at my mother's house in South Buffalo. The snow started falling on Christmas Eve...by the time it ended on Boxing Day, we were covered with almost 7 FEET of snow.

Yes - 7 feet - over 83 inches in 3 days. My son had to jump out of the kitchen window - the doors were blocked by snow. He immediately was buried over his head and had to "breast stroke" his way to get to the street.

By the time we made it to the local convenience store, all that was left was ice cream, pop and frozen food.

I was out of work for a while because my car wasn't running and the workers couldn't get to the repair shop for almost a week.

It turned out to be my mom's last Christmas - she passed away in Sept. 2002.

We ended up having a wonderful time. We were in awe at the snowfall, and becaused we were snowed in, we were able to take care of my mother while we waited for the snow to stop and the plows to do their work.

Respected Contributor

Re: Holy COW ! 50" of snow

[ Edited ]

In 1966 we were living in Fulton,NY and here is the photo of what happened. We could not even get out our doors- only snow shoes would get over the banks. There is a book written with stories of the storm from all of us that lived through it. Very scary and we appreciate we have never seen this again in our life. This is the cover of Jim's book.

IMG_8647.JPG

Honored Contributor

Why we moved to Tx. away from oceans, bad winters, etc. No place is perfect by any means, but, most of us have enough sense to know the perils of any particular area.  If your a Senior you want to protect yourself from life changing  situations. Snow on roofs, ice problems, etc. Visit the ocean, see Fall leaves in the Northeast fall time. Come home to safety.

Honored Contributor

@chrystaltree wrote:

I can imagine 50" of snow because a few years ago in MA, we had over 100" of snow. However that accumulated over 3 separate storms that came in a short period of time.  I can't envision 50" from just a single storm.  The entire day must have been one big white out.  

I once visited Massachusettes during the summer and I loved it.  So much I actually toyed with the idea of living there.  Well folks told me aoubt their winters.  What is their average snow fall?  Anyone know?  Is the weather worst by the coast or further inland?