Respected Contributor

Re: Holocaust Remembrance Day

@agb80  Our United States has a History of genocide in dealing with Native Americans. Starved, moved, given foreign diseases like Small Pox  on purpose in Government issued blankets and killed in many ways. They had a different language, religion, dress, beliefs and culture and  forced to be assimilated into a Christian, Anglo Society.  Children were picked up by the  U.S. Government Agents and sent to boarding school away from parents and family. The  first thing was hair cutting, uniform, and English only or punishment, school and work on the farm and gardens. My town I live in had a boarding school.  Children came from various Tribes in the Upper Midwest. The Tribes are now trying to bring back their culture

I had to let alot of remarks and glares roll off my shoulders being a NonNative working for a Tribe, but I understood some feeling this way. I found out it took time for acceptance. My memories are mostly pleasant.

Esteemed Contributor

@Gorgf   The Native Americans were treated horribly by this Country.  In some cases, they still are.  Ironic that most of us descended from immigrants yet many felt they were far superior to those born here.  

Treatment of Native Americans should be rectified.   All cultures should be welcome here.

Contributor

This day is also observed in my family.  Both of my parents were Holocaust survivors.  I was born in a DP camp in Germany.  Let us never forget.

Contributor

I became a docent for the LA Museum of the Holocaust because of my family history.

You can lissten to over 40,000 Shoa survivor stories.  Let their stories be remembered by all.