Honored Contributor

Re: Holocaust Remembrance Day

@grandma r wrote:

Thank you to all who shared.  My prayers to all.  It should never have happened,  yet, it did.  Words matter; the lies and hatred of one man led to this horrendous tragedy. 

The world should never forget.  

I had the privilege of meeting 2 survivors many years ago.  They each shared their experiences and how they wound up at Auschwitz.   Their survival was by the grace of God.

The stories of the survivors should be part of history.  Students everywhere need to know what really happened so that it can never happen again anywhere.

@grandma r It wasn't just one man...too many surrounding him were just as evil and quick to do his bidding.  

Honored Contributor

"It's difficult in times like these: ideals, dreams and cherished hopes rise within us, only to be crushed by grim reality. It's a wonder I haven't abandoned all my ideals, they seem so absurd and impractical. Yet I cling to them because I still believe, in spite of everything, that people are truly good at heart."

Anne Frank, The Diary of a Young Girl

"This isn't a Wednesday night, this is New Year's Eve"
Trusted Contributor

I am also a Jewish woman and you can take that to the bank. In no way would I ever fail to remember the genocide of the Armenian people as well as the genocide of other ethnicities for to do so would be cruel and heartless.  

Esteemed Contributor

Again, thank you for sharing your stories.   I strongly believe that this is a very important time in world history that must be taught in all schools.  There are fewer and fewer survivors of this time.  It is so important that we never forget what happened and what hatred can lead to.  

There are good and bad in every religion, race, ethnicity,  economic class, etc.  People shouldn't be painted by 1 broad brush.  

And, yes, 1 man started the lies because of his hatred and his ambition.   Others jumped on his bandwagon because they either believed the lies or were also power hungry.

The Holocaust is the most horrendous event in world history and it can never be allowed to happen again.

My memories of the 2 people I spoke with are seared in my brain.  Both were elderly and frail, with various health issues.  But, both were the strongest people I've ever met.  They told their stories, they shared a resolve to survive, and both wanted their stories known.  The abuse they survived and the atrocities they witnessed should never be allowed to happen again. 

My heart aches for all of them.  And, I pray it never even comes close to that again.

Respected Contributor

@grandma r  Thank you for starting this powerful and important thread.

"Justice will not be served until those who are unaffected are as outraged as those who are." BF
Trusted Contributor

@grandma r I meant to place my post on the other thread.  I'm so sorry for including it here, please forgive me.  

Esteemed Contributor

@Mersha. You are most welcome.

Esteemed Contributor

@agb80. No problem.  I am not of Jewish descent.   My ancestors are Irish and Italian; yes, they endured prejudice when they came to America.   But, my post about Remembrance Day is in honor of the 2 survivors I had the privilege of meeting.

Honored Contributor

@haddon9 wrote:

@grandma r wrote:

Thank you to all who shared.  My prayers to all.  It should never have happened,  yet, it did.  Words matter; the lies and hatred of one man led to this horrendous tragedy. 

The world should never forget.  

I had the privilege of meeting 2 survivors many years ago.  They each shared their experiences and how they wound up at Auschwitz.   Their survival was by the grace of God.

The stories of the survivors should be part of history.  Students everywhere need to know what really happened so that it can never happen again anywhere.

@grandma r It wasn't just one man...too many surrounding him were just as evil and quick to do his bidding.  

This is not an unfamilar situation. Some have the ability to use power over others and to, in a way, brainwash them into a cult-like way of thinking. (no, I'm not going there :-)

I wish I could remember the name of a TV show that addressed this. One leader gradually turned his students into willing participants in violence against others. In the end, he makes it clear that this was an experience based on the rise of Hitler and Nazism. Very chilling.

The point was that it doesn't just occur among deviants but among ordinary people as well.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@suzyQ3   For many years I could not conceive how something so horrible could have occurred. 

Now, I fully understand.

"Justice will not be served until those who are unaffected are as outraged as those who are." BF