Respected Contributor

Re: Hollywood writers and studios reach tentative deal to resolve strike

@bikerbabe wrote:

@Allthingsgirly67 wrote:
I couldn’t care less about the strike either. If you choose to be an actor that’s on you. I suspect many think they are the next big thing.

It would be a pretty sad world if the creative arts did not exist.

And a sad world if people were not allowed to fight for their fair wages no matter what their occupation.

Honored Contributor

@Laura14

It should worry everyone that they are using great works of literature to teach AI how to write.
Valued Contributor

@bikerbabe wrote:
@Laura14

It should worry everyone that they are using great works of literature to teach AI how to write.

How does Literature segue into Hollywood and its ilk wanting more money?

Yesterday I was clever, so I wanted to change the world. Today I am wise, so I am changing myself.

-Rumi
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Northray It's not just about money. AI is a shared concern. 

Independent writers can be paid through traditional publishing which usually has divisons or investments in screen, tv, film, publishing etc. It's all connected since the check comes from the same payroll, different medium.

True independents like myself are paid through page reads if you are enrolled in Kindle Unlimited which is like being paid residually or through pure sales which is a percentage shared with the seller like Amazon, B&N, etc.. 

AI is currently unchecked and in many writers' opinions plagiarizing our work and violating our copyrights. That means readers pay someone else for what we created, often unknowing that what they are reading is pirated and pieced together. And if you get successful enough, they often steal your name so the second rate product is attached to you with people thinking that's your poor work.

Lots of similar issues, but when one segment wins, it lifts all of us up to be better and keeps the shared business interests fair and competitive.

Honored Contributor

@Northray wrote:

@bikerbabe wrote:
@Laura14

How does Literature segue into Hollywood and its ilk wanting more money?

studios have hinted at using AI in the future to write scripts. 
The writer strike is looking for protections for future AI use and also streaming contracts pay pennies on the dollar compared to traditional network tv. 

Honored Contributor

I really think people are under the misconception that most who have jobs in Hollywood are rich and that’s just not true. The wealthy are a small portion of people who work there.
Valued Contributor

@bikerbabe wrote:
I really think people are under the misconception that most who have jobs in Hollywood are rich and that’s just not true. The wealthy are a small portion of people who work there.

Oh, hahaha, okay, NO.  ONly in your world maybe.  The rest of society knows just what's up.

We all know there are peons in every industry.  But Hollywoods peons are doing very well.

Yesterday I was clever, so I wanted to change the world. Today I am wise, so I am changing myself.

-Rumi
Honored Contributor

I have a family member in SAG.

She has worked steadily in several roles in tv and movies and streaming and was the lead in a Lifetime movie. Her IMDB page has credits for her work for over ten years and it's not as an extra. 

Most of the actors you see get paid, if they are lucky and the producers don't flake, a flat fee with three or four figures attached at best with no residuals. It's not a lucrative profession unless you get lucky and find yourself on a hit show with a contract that allows you to renegotiate at some point and then share in the wealth. Ask any actor. 

It's what the WGA demanded and SAG are currently fighting for. More equitable distribution and payment for actual show results up front. The residual checks that she gets, if that was even part of the deal and it's usually not, are also three and four figures, but there is usually a decimal point in between the first and second digit. It's almost not worth the stamp. 

Trusted Contributor

@bikerbabe  Considering the poor quality of most TV shows, movies, and stage plays nowadays, the creative arts are neither creative nor arts.