Esteemed Contributor

@Jordan2 I wanted to check in, see how you were doing, and am glad to see that you found some joy today in your cherished memories of your dear mother and brother! You were not alone-they were with you.❤😊

Dessert is my favorite part of Thanksgiving dinner, and I am full of German Chocolate Cake.😋 I hope your dessert was delish!!!🤞

~~~All we need is LOVE💖

Honored Contributor

Years ago,when I worked in a hospital (X-Ray Tech)  those of other faiths would volunteer to work. 

And there was no one left to speak out for me....
Honored Contributor

@SandySparkles wrote:

@Jordan2 I wanted to check in, see how you were doing, and am glad to see that you found some joy today in your cherished memories of your dear mother and brother! You were not alone-they were with you.❤😊

Dessert is my favorite part of Thanksgiving dinner, and I am full of German Chocolate Cake.😋 I hope your dessert was delish!!!🤞

~~~All we need is LOVE💖

@SandySparkles thank you, your very sweet. I enjoyed my dinner, watched the rest of the latest season of The Morning Show, it was all good. 

Honored Contributor

Christmas Eve, Christmas, and New Years Eve are fast approaching. I work in a school, they have had celebrations all week. People ask do you have plans for the holiday, I lie and say yes, no one realizes how I feel, I hide it well. 

Trusted Contributor

@Jordan2 wrote:

Christmas Eve, Christmas, and New Years Eve are fast approaching. I work in a school, they have had celebrations all week. People ask do you have plans for the holiday, I lie and say yes, no one realizes how I feel, I hide it well. 

You're probably not the only one who has those feelings....xo

animated-hug-image-0024.gif

Esteemed Contributor

@Jordan2 wrote:

@Jordan2 

I’m in the same boat as you.  It’s very uncomfortable when people ask about my plans for the holidays.  My husband died 3 years ago.  We had no children and I have no siblings.  I spend it alone.  Like you, I usually come up with something to say.  However, this year it seems worse.  I was at the dentist yesterday and the receptionist asked if my grandkids were visiting for Christmas.  Ack.  I know people mean well but there’s a lack of sensitivity in some of these questions.  Not everyone has family.  Many people spend it alone. 

Honored Contributor

I work as an aide in a school (pre-k- 2nd grade), it's just as well that I have no plans because I'm sick and would have cancelled them. It never fails, whatever is going around in school I get, I'm usually sick for Christmas break, winter break, and Easter break. The kids sneeze and cough in your face while you tie their shoes and zip up their jackets. I was told you build up your immunity but so far after working with kids for two years I'm still waiting!

Honored Contributor

So tomorrow night is New Year's Eve, it's my 4th NYE without my mom ( she's been gone for almost 4 years, the first year she was in rehab so I wasn't with her at midnight). She would always wish me a Happy New Year and knew the upcoming year would hold great things for me. I think of all the holidays her birthday, parent's anniversary, Mother's Day, and my birthday I miss her the most NYE. Wishing everyone a happy and healthy year ahead. 

Super Contributor

I wish people would realize that asking about holiday plans or assuming you are close to your family (or have family) is a very personal question, and can be painful for people. I had lost both parents by the time I was 38 (I was single as well), and was not close to my brother. The choice was always to lie (mainly to escape the awkward reaction by the asker) or tell the truth. It also actually made me angry that some people were so backward (in my mind), that they could not understand that a solitary holiday could be a nice, peaceful, meaningful, and rejuvenating experience. I never really minded spending Thanksgiving alone, and did so by choice for many years, but admittedly, Christmas was difficult.

Even now, married and with stepsons, I don't enjoy being asked this question. Don't get me started on Mother's Day...

“…nevertheless, she persisted.”