Respected Contributor

Don't want to do the holidays anymore, let the kids know as soon as possible.  Let them take it over and make the plans.  I'm sure it will be fun for them to start their own traditions for the holidays.   My husband and I are in our mid 60's and love all that the holidays entails. Will continue to do so until we are no longer able.  It is fun for us and the kids.

Honored Contributor

Sadly, most of our extended family has passed....

Thanksgiving its just my sister, brother,and a couple friends and we go out to eat and then go to my sisters to watch the NFL games and eat dessert...(we all love football!) 

We attend a special Christmas concert and a couple special city events during the season. Christmas Eve my friends and I attend the candlelight church service, we go out to eat, go look at Christmas lights in special neighborhoods that decorate in spectacular fashion! And then we watch a Christmas movie together.  We dont exchange gifts, we draw names and make a donation to that person's favorite charity........

On Christmas Day my brother and I and 2 friends and a couple cousins and their wives gather at my sister's (my sister prepares everything way ahead of time and her house is a Christmas showcase--- she gets her decorating done in mid October and enjoys hosting) We enjoy a simple no fuss meal (sometimes we make and decorate sugar cookies ahead of time) we have pleasant conversation reminiscing and we play games----no gifts.  The only relatives with young children live out of State and celebrate at their home with inlaws......

We enjoy simple celebrations with those we care about and reflect on reason for the holiday season......

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Trusted Contributor
@Spurt... Your holidays sound wonderful to me!! Good for you !! 😊
Honored Contributor

@EastCoastGal wrote:
@Spurt... Your holidays sound wonderful to me!! Good for you !! 😊

@EastCoastGal 

Thank you! The season is so much more enjoyable when you simplify it.  I remember those hectic days, shopping trying to find the perfect gifts...the crowds, the traffic, even with online shopping you worry about packages arriving in good condition and not broken.....And then everyones exhausted, you open presents and collapse----and Im talking about households without small kids.... Families with young children thats always a bit of a challenge

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Respected Contributor

@Spurt   Hello, friend!  I loved your idea about drawing names and donating to that person's favorite charity.  My husband lost his mother this year.  So, I will approach him with the idea of making a donation in her memory to the Alzheimer's Association.  I have some charities near and dear to me, too.  That is an excellent idea!  For my birthday (12/23) each year, DH renews our membership to Zoo Atlanta.  Love going and also knowing that the membership $$ goes to care for the animals.

I'm not short...I'm fun size!
Honored Contributor

@Pandalady wrote:

@Spurt   Hello, friend!  I loved your idea about drawing names and donating to that person's favorite charity.  My husband lost his mother this year.  So, I will approach him with the idea of making a donation in her memory to the Alzheimer's Association.  I have some charities near and dear to me, too.  That is an excellent idea!  For my birthday (12/23) each year, DH renews our membership to Zoo Atlanta.  Love going and also knowing that the membership $$ goes to care for the animals.

@Pandalady 

Hey PANDALADY good to see you.....When you give to a charity to help people or animals it just gives such a warm feeling knowing your helping others (both people and animals) .......So sorry to hear of the passing of your DH's mother.  My heartfelt condolences.  I love your idea of donating to Alzheimer's in memory of your DH's mom.... I have a couple agencies like that which are close to my heart! 

I also donate to several animal charities and one of them is our SA Zoo for the care of the animals. I Iove watching the videos the zoo has of the animals playing and having fun...Zoos are different now, the animals have large enclosures instead of those awful tiny cages of years past.  Its the only way we can preserve these wonderful creatures from poaching or glory hunters! 😡.... ..I also donate to several other animal shelters/organizations! 

Its a blessing to me knowing Im helping....

Take care my friend! 

Esteemed Contributor

Holidays? Since all but 1 sister of my blood family is dead, for me they are pretty much just another day.

Some have a special meaning, some for me do not. However, there is 1 particular day for me that is not really a holiday, that has more significance, than any other day of the year.

hckynut  🇺🇸

hckynut(john)