Honored Contributor

Here we are a year has passed and we're kicking off the holiday season on Thursday with Thanksgiving. The holidays are a joyous time spent with family and friends for many people, but for some it can be lonely and a reminder of loved ones we have lost. I fall into the latter category, I will be alone for Thanksgiving. I want to wish all a happy day, those that will celebrate with their family and friends. To those like me know I will be thinking of you, I'll be checking in on Thursday and beyond. 

Esteemed Contributor

I'm in the same boat @Jordan2  and will be checking in too.  Happy Thanksgiving, see you Thursday

Contributor

Hello, I am alone also as most of my family has passed or lives far away.  I was very depressed a few years ago but have learned to live with it.  I have a son who isn't interested in holidays and doesn't have a family so I'm on my own.  He's not mean about it just not interested.  Wishing you a special Thanksgiving and for those of us alone it's just another day!

Trusted Contributor

I thoroughly enjoy Thanksgiving alone. I'll roast a pork loin and some favorite side dish. That's what I want to eat and I don't make it often, so it will make me happy. I'll eat at what time I prefer. The phone doesn't ring because everyone I know will be with someone they know, not calling me. I won't be thinking about what to wear or what to bring my host, or what time to arrive. No traffic to drive through, no reason to make small talk or listen to it. 

I just got a new living room TV a couple of days ago. I love it and I'll avidly watch a little of the Macy's Thanksgiving Parade and then the National Dog Show. I'll pick something to stream after that, unless I want to read. 

I like living alone and I don't think of holidays as just another day. I'm able to be  festive or celebratory on my terms. Food I like, house clothes, TV or reading, a nap after kitchen cleanup. 

I'll do it again for Christmas. And New Years Eve. Maybe the same menu! No matter--I'll be relaxed and happy. 

Sometimes I find myself wistful on Valentines Day. I had the companionship of a lovely dear man for 40 years. He passed away 3 years ago. I like being alone, but I miss him more on Valentines Day. Alone takes its toll just that one day. It's a holiday expressly for celebrating not being alone. I sigh a few times and then it's the next day. Manageable. 

Wishing you all a wonderful, yummy, safe Thanksgiving. If you can't be with the ones you love, love the one you're with--yourself. Don't eat too much...

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

Awww... @Jordan2  Thank you! Your tender post has me smiling over here! It is so nice of you to think of others.😊 Because of it, I will think of you as well, and hope you are able to enjoy your holiday!!!!❤🥰 

Edited for clarification.

~~~All we need is LOVE💖

Honored Contributor

@Jordan2 

Please enjoy your day.  I'm so very sorry you aren't with someone.  Perhaps next year, ask a single friend to enjoy dinner out with you.

Honored Contributor

I got to thinking about our Forum "family" just now and wanted to say how wonderful it is to just be able to come and "hang out" on ANY given day-with 'FAMILY". We may sometimes fight like step-brothers and sisters,😂 but I am  truly THANKFUL, and wish each of you a BLESSED Holiday.❤❤🙏🙏

~~~All we need is LOVE💖

Honored Contributor

@Jordan2,

You know what I want  to say is "I like you. I really like you!"Woman Happy

and have a beautiful Thanksgiving day and year!

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Honored Contributor

@SandySparkles wrote:

I got to thinking about our Forum "family" just now and wanted to say how wonderful it is to just be able to come and "hang out" on ANY given day-with 'FAMILY". We may sometimes fight like step-brothers and sisters,😂 but I am  truly THANKFUL, and wish each of you a BLESSED Holiday.❤❤🙏🙏

~~~All we need is LOVE💖

@SandySparkles - That is so nice! 

We just finished our Thanksgiving for families who need help today. A lot of people were happy to help others by giving turkeys and other food. In this crazy world I marvel at everyone's generosity! 

I wish you all an early Happy Thanksgiving too. I'm off tomorrow- time to catch up on sumo wrestling!  Smiley Wink

Honored Contributor

@Jordan2 - I will be here on Thanksgiving too. The elaborate celebration we used to have at one of DH's sister's home (where he grew up) doesn't happen any longer. In days past we would spend a long weekend there. It was so much fun, with family coming and going all afternoon. We live far away. My family is gone, and DH's sister hasn't wanted to host since his brother-in-law died right before the pandemic started. Everyone kind of scatters.

DS hasn't been home since he started college far from us. He still lives there. BUT we do get him for Christmas, and I'd rather have him then!

DH will be watching football, and we will all take it easy. I plan to sleep in a little! LOL! 

I will be thinking of you and hope to see you here!  Smiley Happy