Esteemed Contributor

Holidays during the Creede Silver Day??

When I first tuned into the silver day yesterday, there was a menorah all by itself under the CREEDE  SILVER sign in the background. I thought "What is that about???" Later as the camera pulled out I saw a Christmas tree on the set also.  IT'S OCTOBER  2 and not a Christmas show!  I do not remember holiday decorations up for Creede Silver show before, it is ridiculous!

Honored Contributor

Re: Holidays during the Creede Silver Day??

When I saw the title of this thread and sensed the outrage, I at least expected that QVC had committed the sin of trying to sell us silver decorations for the holidays.  That would not have been surprising or upsetting to me, but to waste my emotional energy regarding two pieces of set decoration.  Sorry -  I have other issues to chew on.  There are Christmas items everywhere already. QVC is not alone.

Esteemed Contributor

I agree and couldn't believe it either when I saw the Menorah and the tree.  They start with the decorations earlier and earlier each year.  Why don't they have the sets decorated for fall at least until the end of October?   This morning during AM style Leah looked silly with the winter hat and Christmas tree in the background.  I know it is not her choice, just too much too soon, IMO.  Time to change the channel.

Honored Contributor

It's ridiculous.

There are so many beatiful Fall decorations they could use.  They go right from Summer to Christmas. 

Esteemed Contributor

I don't really care. Every other retailer is doing this. It's October not July.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

BIg lots has the holiday/Christmas stuff out. Walmart only has Halloween/Fall out.

edit: I was wrong. Walmart has it out. Must have missed that section because it's in the back of the store, and in the garden section.

Respected Contributor

Christmas is too commercialized. If retailers such as QVC keep pushing it in our face from June on, they contribute to the demeaning of the holiday. The Q or no other retailer focuses on the true meaning of Christmas; the birth of Christ. It's hardly mentioned. It's just get gifts for your loved ones without the proper context.

The symbolism of the gifts that were exchanged now is given more emphasis that I wouldn't be surprised many children only think of Santa Claus and probably do not realize what the holiday is truly about. 

It's about keeping Christmas meaningful not exploiting it for months on end. This year QVC had Christmas in July then in August they also had Christmas shows. I understand people want to shop early etc. but it's not only about decorating your home and gift giving!!! 

~Live with Intention~
Trusted Contributor

QVC is a retiler -- nothing more.  It is not the job of QVC (nor any other retailer) to provide any sort of emotional or spirutal meaning to your holidays.  Retailers sell things.  B/y definition, they are commercial enterprises.

The meaning of the holiday should be taught in your homes and churches, but to lament that retilers are not reinforcing your religiosity is a bit silly and misguided.

Honored Contributor

For those that think the whole holiday (which ever one you celebrate in December) is coming too early at the first of October, I'll offer up one thing many may not have thought about.

I worked in retail for many years, and there is something at play that many don't understand.

A bigger and bigger portion of the people in our country are on fixed incomes. They essentially get paid once a month. Some are on welfare, some are on disability, many are retired. Whatever the source of their income, they only get paid once a month, and by October, many of them are behind the eight ball in getting holiday buying done before it's over. By the first of October, they have only three pays before the holiday. 

Some fixed income people make good money, but most don't. They have to budget some money out for many months beforehand to get what they want/need for the season. 

So while for many, starting the whole holiday whirl before Thanksgiving is offensive, there are a lot of people who either enjoy it early, or need it to get things paid for and done on time.

And Q will put the holiday icons on the screen in the background to quietly remind you that everything they present will be a fabulous gift for 'anyone on your list'!