Honored Contributor

Re: Holiday shopping 15- 20 plus years ago on QVC and other shopping channels

@sidsmom wrote:

Have to agree with many upthread.

Jewelry isn’t a ‘thing’ anymore.

And perfume...I don’t know a soul who wears perfume/cologne.

And even at the gym when everyone is getting ready...

no perfume. It’s really unusual when someone wears

perfume at the gym...everyone notices. 

I guess it all depends, almost everyone I know wears scent of some kind.

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Honored Contributor

@Trinity11 wrote:

Does anyone remember when the Q sold an 18k gold bracelet probably about 21 grams and the price tag was around $300.00? It was some kind of guaranteed delivery TSV for Christmas. Those were the days!! It was during the late 90's.

I think it is true that people are not wearing jewelry much anymore. I was at the mall on Tuesday...what I would describe as the most high end mall near us... people were definitely not wearing jewelry. No one had gold earrings on that I saw either.

One of my favorite jewelry stores is in the process of closing right after Christmas and everything is nearly 70% off. Her family has been in the business for more than 50 years and they renovated about 10 years ago. When I asked her about it she point blank told me business has been terrible. Nobody is much interested in fine jewelry anymore.

@Trinity11   IU remember!  It was back when I bought all my big heavy gold pieces that I sold a few years ago when gold prices were so high and I made a small fortune.  I stopped wearing them anyways as it is too dangerous to be wearing a $4000 gold heavy gram weight necklace and bracelets these days!

Valued Contributor

The price of gold went from $300.00 an ounce to, now, over $1,200.00 an ounce. Not many people want to pay that. The price of silver went from $3.00 an ounce to $14.00 an ounce. While that is much more affordable, add the name of some designer stamped into it, and they over chagre for sterling silver. It's just not worth that kind of money.

Also, now much of the jewelery is made in China and the quality just isn't there. 

What we bought back in the 80's and 90's was better quality, but much more affordable. They used to give you the gram weight of an item and you couls figure out what you were paying per gram.They don't want you to know that number now. Back in the 80's gold sold for $14.00 a gram, that won't happen again. 

Silver pieces have been marked up to the point where they just aren't a value any more.

You are paying an enormous price for the name stamped in the piece, and it's possible that designer hasn't even seen the piece until just before the show because now there is a "team" of designers drawing up the pieces. 

They don't even seem to make gold stud earrings any more. A small stone in a little gold basket shouldn't run hundresd of dollars. That amount of gold isn't that expensive,but they mark it up to where no one wants it. 

They now add about $10.00 to the price of a piece if they gold plate it. There isn't that much gold, and it will wear off in not too long of a time. Plating always wears off, no matter what name they give it. And then the silver under the plating doesn't shine. Not worth the money.

Honored Contributor

I remember the jewelry shows on the Q.  I still have some 18k earrings I bought.  I don't see others wearing much jewelry.

Trusted Contributor

I have some beautiful and expensive pieces of jewelry, but hardly ever wear them.  I have to be careful about putting pierced earrings every once in awhile, because if I don't, it becomes very difficult to get them into my ears.  My DILs are in their early 40s, and they wear only their wedding sets.  However, they and their friends have LARGE diamond engagement and wedding rings.  That is where they chose to spend their jewelry money...trading up to better and bigger diamonds.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

People spend their money on the latest electronic gadgets.

Honored Contributor

My husband was a jeweler, trained in diamonds, he would just shake his head back then when i had qvc on ,and they were selling their stuff.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Honored Contributor

@sidsmom wrote:

@cherry wrote:

I used to love the once in a lifetime shows, with Kathy

@cherry

And they were selling $$$ pieces on Christmas Eve

with overnight delivery, yes? Not sure even that is possible

in today’s shipping environment, regardless of the price.

@sidsmom    It's possible.  I just received the TSV sweater with free s&h, overnight delivery at the Q's expense.  I remember when they guaranteed Christmas delivery, then half the stuff didn't arrive in time.  Then it was gripe, gripe, gripe.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

@sidsmom wrote:

@cherry wrote:

I used to love the once in a lifetime shows, with Kathy

@cherry

And they were selling $$$ pieces on Christmas Eve

with overnight delivery, yes? Not sure even that is possible

in today’s shipping environment, regardless of the price.

@sidsmom    It's possible.  I just received the TSV sweater with free s&h, overnight delivery at the Q's expense.  I remember when they guaranteed Christmas delivery, then half the stuff didn't arrive in time.  Then it was gripe, gripe, gripe.

@Kachina624

Giggle.

I think we still have a fair amount of griping about how

QVC ruined their Christmas, yes?  

Remember...we still have another week & change...

AND it’s a Full Moon. Poor CS & Moderators.

Yikes!

18D59C99-4C10-457F-AD76-59960F44EC44.jpeg

Respected Contributor

I love my jewelry and wear it everyday - even just shopping.  Don't feel dressed leaving home without jewelry.  I have lots of jewelry, a lot of it from HSN and QVC, plus "good" jewelry bought by DH in jewelry stores.

I remember Silver Style every Sunday on QVC and Technibond on HSN.   HSN still sells Technibond, but it is not the unique and genuine or lab created stones as in the past.  Now mostly Chains - very ininspired.

I am not one that only wants to wear "good" jewelry"  I love fashion jewelry too,  Many beautiful pieces.  I also like Southwestern Jewelry such as Jay King and Carolyn Pollock.  I have varied taste in jewelry - love it all!

Many women don't want fashion jewelry (even that is expensive) and the cost of gold and silver and gems is prohibitive - so that would account for the decrease in jewelry wearing.  I'm now glad I bought so much back in the affordable days - I used to feel guilty about buying so much jewelry, but now I'm glad I did.

I no longer buy much jewelry except for fashion because of the cost and my age - plus the fact I have so much.