Trusted Contributor

Re: Holiday shopping 15- 20 plus years ago on QVC and other shopping channels

I remember the beautiful Y necklaces in gold. I wish they would bring some back. I also loved the portrait in gold charm that you coud have a picture engraved....what happened to qvc ? Diamonique is awful, no good updated designs. It seems like it is all Logo and It cosmetics and they spend hours on the tsv's . 

Esteemed Contributor

@Trinity11 wrote:

Does anyone remember when the Q sold an 18k gold bracelet probably about 21 grams and the price tag was around $300.00? It was some kind of guaranteed delivery TSV for Christmas. Those were the days!! It was during the late 90's.

I think it is true that people are not wearing jewelry much anymore. I was at the mall on Tuesday...what I would describe as the most high end mall near us... people were definitely not wearing jewelry. No one had gold earrings on that I saw either.

One of my favorite jewelry stores is in the process of closing right after Christmas and everything is nearly 70% off. Her family has been in the business for more than 50 years and they renovated about 10 years ago. When I asked her about it she point blank told me business has been terrible. Nobody is much interested in fine jewelry anymore.

Those were the days when I had two kids and not a lot of extra  money, of course, lol.

The nicest jewelry store in my town doesn't seem to have much business, I have noticed. I have been in there a couple times lately, and I was the only shopper. I've noticed when I drive by, there seems to be a few cars, and they are parked around at the side, where employees park, the front lot is empty.

Crime seems to be on an uptick around here, I wonder if women aren't wearing as much jewelry because of that?

Honored Contributor

Oh my, yes it has changed.  But so have I in the way I shop and how much I am spending on presents.  

As far as jewelry is concerned, just don't wear much of it any more.  Have maybe 2 or 3 pairs of gold pierced earring sets that I wear and that's it.  The rings I have are all way to large on me now since I've lost so much weight.  Hardly ever wear any of my gold chain necklaces any more.  Mostly because when I was on chemo treatments and having to go in for PETscans, they either got in the way or I could not wear any jewelry when getting a PETscan.  

This year I purchased practical presents for those on my list.  Am sure the folks will find them very useful during the winter icy weather.  Got a couple of them a Snow Joe from the Q.....as they have to clean off their cars from snow before they leave for work....  Last year one of them asked me if she could use my Snow Joe....and of course I let her.  But now she will have her own....

Do believe the economy has a lot to do with how folks are spending their money this year.  

Regular Contributor

Jewelry is what made me watch TV shopping back in the 90s and compared to today, the prices were great.  The price of gold, changing tastes and IMO better clothes & beauty have pushed aside jewelry on TV shopping.  

There are a few things I wish I'd bought back in the day (byzantine bracelet among them) but reallistically, I couldn't afford it then and don't want to pay today's prices.  Also, I wear earings but rarely wear bracelets and almost never wear a necklace since I need to have my ID/electronic key card on all day at work.

Honored Contributor

Would also like to comment on the Q shows for this holiday season.  I just don't watch them any more.  I do go up to see what has recently been shown on air.  But just don't see much that I want to order.  Also get plenty emails from them, so don't have to watch.  

Don't care for many of the hosts anymore either.  Don't know who is doing the hiring, but maybe they need to rethink about who they are interviewing for these positions.

It's a shame, because I used to like watching them and then making purchases...but not any more. 

Honored Contributor

Are you kidding?   Women are wearing more jewelry now than they every did at any time in history.  I'm in my late 50's and I come from a line of women who were into fashion and jewelry but they didn't actually have a lot of jewelry because back then, "good" jewelry was gold or platinum.  They wore diamonds/emeralds/rubies but not much else.  And it was expensive!  And women didn't buy jewelry for themselves, they waited for the men in their lives to buy it for them. Yes, I do remember when all the shopping chanels sold real gold jewelry at what we NOW consider to be affordable prices because the gold price shot through the roof so that  same $300 bracelet costs $1800 now.  But 20 years ago, I had young girls and I worked 16 hours a week and hubby was working two jobs so there were no $300 bracelets under the Christmas tree.  I think when gold became unaffordable jewelry designers were forced to use silver and then gold plate; which brought the prices of jewelry down and opened the door for many women.  Suddenly, we could buy what we wanted ourselves and we could fill those jewelry boxes with semi precious stones and freshwater pearls and cubic zirconia!  Since the prices were lower, we could be more adventerous with our jewelry purchases.  We weren't buying investment jewelry or jewelry to pass down to our daughters, we were buying jewlry we liked.  Now we have boxes of pretty jewelry and we wear it everywhere.  Layer, layer, stack, stack even if we are just going to the grocery store or the post office.  It's not that women aren't interested in jewelry anymore, that could not be further from the truth.  It's that women aren't interested in spending an arm and leg on "safe" or "investment' jewelry anymore.  The independant jewelry stores in my area are all but gone now, it's a little sad but I'm a realist.  It's been coming for years.  Those stores went from being THE places to buy engagement rings, wedding bands and fine jewelry to being the places we went to get our jewelry repaired and  our watches serviced to being places we don't even think about until we walk by and see that "Going out of Business Sale" sign.  

Esteemed Contributor

I have little use for jewelry and most of the 20-30 something’s i know aren’t very interested in jewelry.
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@cherry wrote:

I used to love the once in a lifetime shows, with Kathy

@cherry

And they were selling $$$ pieces on Christmas Eve

with overnight delivery, yes? Not sure even that is possible

in today’s shipping environment, regardless of the price.

Honored Contributor

I still always wear good earrings. I like gold best

Honored Contributor

Have to agree with many upthread.

Jewelry isn’t a ‘thing’ anymore.

And perfume...I don’t know a soul who wears perfume/cologne.

And even at the gym when everyone is getting ready...

no perfume. It’s really unusual when someone wears

perfume at the gym...everyone notices.