Honored Contributor

Holiday shopping 15- 20 plus years ago on QVC and other shopping channels

For those who remember back.....so much jewelry was sold on all the shopping channels over the month of December.......!   Now hardly anything jewelry.  My how the economy and what people want has changed over the years.

it use to be rather festive and fun watching and shopping....today, not so much....

Honored Contributor

Re: Holiday shopping 15- 20 plus years ago on QVC and other shopping channels

I don't know if anyone else has noticed this, but I see fewer and fewer ladies wearing jewelry. Maybe I just don't go to the right places. 

Honored Contributor

@RetRN wrote:

I don't know if anyone else has noticed this, but I see fewer and fewer ladies wearing jewelry. Maybe I just don't go to the right places. 

I've noticed this also.  Perhaps practicality is taking precedence over adornment in today's fashion scene?

Esteemed Contributor

I remember those days very well.  However, lots of us retired and have better quality pieces than offered today....and we don't even wear those much.  Young folks today basically wear long goofy (my opinion) plastic bright color earrings with their torn hole in the knee jeans.  In general, the world changed.

And the price of good genuine gold sky rocketed.

Honored Contributor

Does anyone remember when the Q sold an 18k gold bracelet probably about 21 grams and the price tag was around $300.00? It was some kind of guaranteed delivery TSV for Christmas. Those were the days!! It was during the late 90's.

I think it is true that people are not wearing jewelry much anymore. I was at the mall on Tuesday...what I would describe as the most high end mall near us... people were definitely not wearing jewelry. No one had gold earrings on that I saw either.

One of my favorite jewelry stores is in the process of closing right after Christmas and everything is nearly 70% off. Her family has been in the business for more than 50 years and they renovated about 10 years ago. When I asked her about it she point blank told me business has been terrible. Nobody is much interested in fine jewelry anymore.

Honored Contributor

I used to love the once in a lifetime shows, with Kathy

Esteemed Contributor

@SeaMaiden wrote:

For those who remember back.....so much jewelry was sold on all the shopping channels over the month of December.......!   Now hardly anything jewelry.  My how the economy and what people want has changed over the years.

it use to be rather festive and fun watching and shopping....today, not so much....

I remember, I loved to watch Lisa Mason and Kathy Levine among others.

Honored Contributor

I think the price of gold has something to do with the decline in jewelry. I still have some 24 KT gold items ,I wear everyday, usually, under my top

Respected Contributor

I’m a suburban soccer mom in my 40’s. None of my friends wears fine jewelry. Outside of a wedding set, maybe some diamond studs, some special occasion pearls from our grandmothers, the fanciest jewelry I see on a regular basis is a Pandora bracelet. If we’re wearing a watch for every day, it’s a FitBit or an Apple Watch.
Honored Contributor

@happycat wrote:

@SeaMaiden wrote:

I remember, I loved to watch Lisa Mason and Kathy Levine among others.

Remember when Kathy Levine closed out the time before Christmas break reading " A Cup Of  Christmas Tea ? " It always made me cry.

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan