Honored Contributor

Holiday Gifts from your Employer

Did you get a holiday gift this year?

If so, what?

I got a chocolate bar. Cat Indifferent

Honored Contributor

Re: Holiday Gifts from your Employer

When I was teaching we received a candy cane and card from the BOE.

Esteemed Contributor

No, not really, although the CEO of our company (1,000+ employees) took the entire company to see Star Wars today! Employees love him. Oh yeah.  I forgot: he also gave everybody some chocolate candy, too. He personally paid for both of those things (not the company).

Respected Contributor

2 weeks pay. Very generous 

Honored Contributor

Well, I remember the good old days when we would receive a $50 gift certificate to JL Hudsons.  Wow, those were the days.  We used to receive Christmas cards too.  Then the program changed to a gift selection only.  That's when multifunctional screwdrivers and low end binoculars were offered.  Because I am a DIYer I actually selected the screwdriver with interchangeable bits and use that thing often.

Then the give selection used to include an option for a charitable children's insurance program my company sponsored (way before PPACA).  There was pressure to select the charity as a gift.

Then they got rid of presents and the farewell gift was a coffee table book about the art that is displayed all around the corporation.  I still have a copy of that book.  So many employees were upset with that, it was unbelievable.  Many mailed them back to the CEO via large interoffice envelope.

Then they stopped sending Christmas cards - we each started receiving an individual email.

Now if you don't read the weekly electronic newsletter, you don't see the company wishing you merry, merry, rofl.

Folks are losing their jobs these days as we are going through the once a decade re-org.

Guess they figure, yer getting paid - Merry Merry.

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Respected Contributor

@Bird mama wrote:

Well, I remember the good old days when we would receive a $50 gift certificate to JL Hudsons.  Wow, those were the days.  We used to receive Christmas cards too.  Then the program changed to a gift selection only.  That's when multifunctional screwdrivers and low end binoculars were offered.  Because I am a DIYer I actually selected the screwdriver with interchangeable bits and use that thing often.

Then the give selection used to include an option for a charitable children's insurance program my company sponsored (way before PPACA).  There was pressure to select the charity as a gift.

Then they got rid of presents and the farewell gift was a coffee table book about the art that is displayed all around the corporation.  I still have a copy of that book.  So many employees were upset with that, it was unbelievable.  Many mailed them back to the CEO via large interoffice envelope.

Then they stopped sending Christmas cards - we each started receiving an individual email.

Now if you don't read the weekly electronic newsletter, you don't see the company wishing you merry, merry, rofl.

Folks are losing their jobs these days as we are going through the once a decade re-org.

Guess they figure, yer getting paid - Merry Merry.

@Bird mama   LOL.  One year I, too, received a screwdriver w/interchangeable bits at an office Christmas party.  I was teased unmercifully about it, but, would you believe all these years since, I use it regularly?  I think about the giver every time I reach into the drawer for it.  

Strive for respect instead of attention. It lasts longer.
Honored Contributor

The group of doctors I work for catered a delicious lunch of Indian food, and gave us gift cards from Trader Joe's - our favorite gift!

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Honored Contributor

@IamMrsG

I guess I am weird.  When I celebrated my 15th anniversary, I selected a knife (think hunting knife) with interchangeable blades.  My director at the time tried to humiliate me when he presented it to me.  My VP at the time, God rest him, he died, defended me and made my director look like a horse's as*.

For my 20th anniversay, I selected a circular saw because I needed one.  I told the director I had at that time - just let me know when it is shipped - there will be no public presentation.

I figure - why not pick something practical.

I will be recognizing 35 years right after new year and I have no idea what this year's gift selection will be.  I hope there is some kind of tool.

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Respected Contributor

@Bird mama   You'd get along well with our DIL.  She asks for power tools for every gift occasion.  The girl knows how to use them, too. Woman Happy

Strive for respect instead of attention. It lasts longer.
Esteemed Contributor

At my job as an esthetician we got a money bonus and they have a lovely party for us at a local restaurant called the Angus Barn. Our derms and plastic surgeon also let us get any procedure we wish to get done through out the year. Unfortunately I haven't been able to get anything even botox or fillers because of my immune system, I just don't want to risk it but it is a nice benefit.

At the company I own we also do a Christmas party plus a bonus check of 2 weeks for all employees plus I put together little gift bags with stuff like candles, food and this year I put in this really great throw blanket that is soft and cozy and great for using when laying on the couch or on the computer. I liked it anyway, hope they do!!

Merry Christmas! Hope everyone enjoys!

Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.
JFK