Respected Contributor

Re: Holiday Depression, Am I The Only One?

@KingstonsMom 

Dear IG,

You certainly have reasons for being depressed at this time!  I don't think the holidays depress you, because of your family's tragic losses any time of the year would be depressing if the losses occurred then.  So, Easter would be depressing.  Cry, scream, don't get out of bed for a couple days, indulge yourself in food treats.  No one would blame you for not being all excited about Christmas.  

I cannot imagine the sorrow you have and will continue to experience.  Sending you a big hug. {{ hug}}  

Honored Contributor

I am so sorry for your loss.

Honored Contributor

@KingstonsMom   I can understand why the holidays are so very hard for you. I'm so very sorry for your losses. I'm not sure such monumental events are ever forgotten, but maybe the family you have left that continue to gather will give loving support to each other. 💗

Honored Contributor

Milestones and Anniversaries are so hard after each big loss. I'm so sorry you are going through this, @KingstonsMom. And knowing we all are in the same company--that all of us who are still here are in a similar state of loss or one day will be--doesn't make it feel any less uniquely horrible and alone when it happens to you. The sweetness of appreciating all the love that remains can't make up for the bitterness of the lesson. Heart

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Honored Contributor

@Shanus wrote:

@KingstonsMom   I can understand why the holidays are so very hard for you. I'm so very sorry for your losses. I'm not sure such monumental events are ever forgotten, but maybe the family you have left that continue to gather will give loving support to each other. 💗

@Shanus 

It's just DH, DD and me left, so we do the best we can at this time of year.

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Contributor

I too am depressed on most Holidays especially Christmas. Since 2010 I've lost my Husband to Cancer, my oldest Son to Diabetes and my youngest son from a Heart Attack. I literally have no family left...so I am definitely alone.

Honored Contributor

@josie wrote:

I too am depressed on most Holidays especially Christmas. Since 2010 I've lost my Husband to Cancer, my oldest Son to Diabetes and my youngest son from a Heart Attack. I literally have no family left...so I am definitely alone.

@josie   So sorry to hear about those losses. It must be quite difficult for you all year, but especially at the holidays. 

Honored Contributor

@KingstonsMom wrote:

I always adored the holidays, Thanksgiving through Christmas, decorated and celebrated to the max!

But all of that changed a few years ago when my family and my 4 siblings and families had a Christmas family reunion.

It was great to have all of us together for the first time in over 20 years, coming from different cities and one from CA to celebrate the holidays, the videos are priceless.

Leaving the reunion the day after Christmas, my oldest brother and his family were in a catastrophic car accident and we lost our 6 year old niece and our 8 year old nephew, my brother had traumatic brain injuries and died 6 months later.

A couple of years ago, my other brother in CA, whose birthday was 11/28 and who I was closest to, we spoke at least 2-3 times a day, committed suicide.

No warning, no history or evidence of depression, drug or alcohol issues. I'll always wonder what signal I must've missed.

My point in this thread?

Hold the ones you love close....you're luckier than you can possibly imagine.

@KingstonsMom 

IG, may you have happiness galore in your life from this moment forward.  I do not understand how saddened you are but I have known others for whom this time of year was very sad.  My advice is to get in touch with grief counseling in your community or a grief support group.  I do not want to know that you are alone in this season with such a heavy heart.  I want you to be in touch with others who can share with you and perhaps have reason to celebrate the reason for this season.  We love you and wish the best for you.  We are here but you need others who are near.  

Regular Contributor

I just read this

When we don't see grief as a problem to be solved, but instead as an experience to be supported, loved, and witnessed -- then we can really talk about what helps. When we stand on the same ground together, our words and actions can be truly supportive and useful.

I think the holidays can be very depressing if  you are feeling hearbreak in any form. Death, a divorce or breakup ...not getting along with a family member. 

You look around and think " everyone is happy but me"..