Trusted Contributor

Re: Holiday Depression, Am I The Only One?

IG,

I'm so sorry for the horrific family losses you have endured.  I think of your SIL as the sole survivor - the heartbreak & guilt she must carry!  I cannot even begin to imagine.

We were once a large Italian family.  From Thanksgiving to New Year's day, it was party party party.  Then real life began to happen - divorces, one of my cousins changing religions to appease his wife and they no longer celebrated Christmas.  That almost killed my aunt (his mom).

Three years ago, one of my cousins, who moved back to Italy, committed suicide 12/23.  Her 10 year old son found her.  Ugh.

This year has been tough on us.  Since April, we have lost 4 family members; a cousin who died in his sleep, my dad's last remaining sister 2 weeks later, my dad May 4 and Aunt Sue passing Monday morning.  She was suffering from dementia the past few years.  Her daughter and I stayed by her side Saturday & Sunday when we were told the end was near.  What is getting our family thru this is to know that they are all in a better place, healthy and happy in a major poker game.  

To everyone here who has suffered losses and now must go thru the pain of the next few weeks, rather it's your first holiday without your loved one(s) or many years, I'm right there with you.  I wish you strength and love.Heart

Honored Contributor

@roeroe1005 

I also wish you .".strength and love"Heart

preds 06-21-20
"Always be thankful andyou'll have more than you know."
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Since losing my Mom and other family it is not happy holidays now. It is somewhat sad and depressing. The only thing that helps is my Thinking often of the true Meaning of the Holidays and that gets me thru them. I am so sorry for all that you have gone thru. God Bless.

Faith is the strength by which a shattered world shall emerge into the light. —Helen Keller
Esteemed Contributor

So sorry for your losses. Having the Holiday season start earlier and earlier each year sure does not help either. I get sad during this time of year because it emphasizes how fast the years are going by, as well as missing the three parents DH and I have lost. I hope everyone finds some joy and peace this year.
Always remember that you are absolutely unique. Just like everyone else. Margaret Mead
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Well, I finally had our Thanksgiving meal yesterday for DH, DD and me. It was still bittersweet.

I just couldn't do it on Thanksgiving day, that was the birthday of my brother who committed suicide.

Next up is Christmas, when my oldest brother and his family were involved in a life ending/changing (for all of us) catastrophic car accident, returning from a Christmas family reunion.

Lord, give me strength.....I wish I were a bear so I could just hibernate till the 'holidays' are over.

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Honored Contributor

@KingstonsMom 

Don't push yourself if your not ready to attend any family gatherings...((((((((((((((hugs and prayersHeart)))))))))))))))))))))

I understand...grief consumes us and it's  so hard...just one day,minute,second at a time.

Do what you feel up to doing nothing moreHeart

preds 06-21-20
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Boomernichols 

((((((((((((((((((Hugs
and prayers also))))))))))))))))))))))))))))

Sorry for your loss also.Heart

preds 06-21-20
Esteemed Contributor

@KingstonsMom wrote:

Well, I finally had our Thanksgiving meal yesterday for DH, DD and me. It was still bittersweet.

I just couldn't do it on Thanksgiving day, that was the birthday of my brother who committed suicide.

Next up is Christmas, when my oldest brother and his family were involved in a life ending/changing (for all of us) catastrophic car accident, returning from a Christmas family reunion.

Lord, give me strength.....I wish I were a bear so I could just hibernate till the 'holidays' are over.

@KingstonsMom So sorry for your losses and I know this time of year must be very hard.  But I am sure your relatives would not want you to be sad.  You carry them with you in your heart, so I hope you can find some joy and peace.  I hope you have something to look forward to in the coming year and that you can focus on that.  If I were in your situtation, I think I would get out of town on Thanksgiving and Christmas, places you had never been to.  That would be something new to explore and a distraction.  Hugs and best wishes to you.

Always remember that you are absolutely unique. Just like everyone else. Margaret Mead
Honored Contributor

@Puppy Lips 

Thank you so much and I think you made an excellent suggestion!Heart

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Honored Contributor

@KingstonsMom you are in my prayers and in my heart. 

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."