Frequent Contributor

Re: Holiday Depression, Am I The Only One?

YOU ARE NEVER ALONE...PLease don't ever forget that. I too have struggled daily with depression.  My mother passed away the day before my December wedding. I told her before she passed that I would wait to get married and her response was "I am going to be with my husband...I need to know you will be yours".  God ,family and friends are here for you. I will put you in my prayers...

Honored Contributor

@KingstonsMom  All I can say is I am so so sorry for what happened to your family. I can’t imagine anything worse. I will be holding my family close.

Honored Contributor

lost my father and aunt due to a drunk driver......this happened just a few days before thanksgiving. my mom was in shock trauma and then rehab through the holidays. it was a very tough year for us, but we STILL managed to celebrate christmas.....and that helped. our friends and family pulled us through.  we decorated a small tree in my mothers rehab room and bought her angels to surround her.

while we do remember that horrible period of time, we celebrate the love we have for them, the wonderful and loving memories of them, and we admire strength that my mother had to pull through that incredibly difficult period of time......and even helped pull US through it.

she is still with us, she is strong and relatively healthy, and we consider this time of the year a joyous one. no, i dont have depression at this time of the year.....i am lucky to be here and lucky to have family close to celebrate those still here and those who have passed.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Respected Contributor

my heart goes out to you, so sorry for the  loss of your family members, God bless

Respected Contributor

I am so deeply sorry for your loss! The tragedy of suicide is beyond devastating and not something that most of us could possibly comprehend. The death of children is the worst kind of loss. Of course, your pain will never go away but I hope that you are able to find joy again. In terms of the holidays, I hope that, in time, you are able to celebrate the memory of the family who you have lost. This will take time. Do not feel guilty for not wanting to join in on holiday festivities just yet! If curling up on the couch with a cup of tea and a movie brings a little peace, do that! Self-care is the most important thing.

I love the holidays and I hope that Christmas (the tree, music, lights, movies, etc.,) will bring joy to you again!

Thinking of you and condolences! 

Respected Contributor

@KingstonsMom ~

It's so late, but I can't lie down without telling you how sorry I am for all of your loss and pain.

I know the dread of the Holidays.  I know the depression it brings.  I have not walked in your shoes, but I know yor anguish.  

There really are no words good enough to make it better.  Just Please know you are thought of, and cared about.

My wish is that I could give you a real live {{{Gentle Hug}}}Heart

If you want to change the tenor of your interactions, you must become aware of the impact of your words...Karen Casey
Honored Contributor

When you lose a loved one(s), it changes something in you I think.  These are parts of your heart missing.  Thank goodness, we have good memories, (at least I hope so).  When it's near a holiday, that makes it sting more so, I believe.  I'm sending a big hug, wish there was more to be done for you, but, many of us know the pain and share with you.  If it would help to talk with someone, if it gets too overwhelming for you, do so please.  

Sending my best to you this season, and hopefully the cloud will lift.

Super Contributor

[ Edited ]

Thank you for this post.  My parents are gone (Mom died 12/3) and my brother who was close to my age died unexpectedly of a heart attack right before Thanksgiving 2 years ago.  I have a long time boyfriend but no kids and too old to make any.  This time of year is tough.  The dark and cold do not help either.  I have to make it clear to my boyfriend I am not up to going to his family’s Thanksgiving this year.  I just want peace and quiet.  That is part of my new normal - peace remembrance and quiet reflection during this time.

Glad to have some web buddies here going through the same.

Honored Contributor

I am so sorry for your tremendous losses @KingstonsMom .  I can't begin to imagine how awful that was and is for you.  It is heartbreaking to read about it.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Esteemed Contributor

You certainly have been through tremendous losses, and I am so very sorry.  Of course, the holidays will be very difficult for you.  You can’t beat yourself up for your brother’s suicide.  When there are no signs, no sharing of deep depression, there was literally nothing you could do.  Know that your dear brother is at peace now,  And surely the loss of your dear brother and his children is also a tremendous loss.  I hope you find a way to spend these days in a way that is meaningful for you.  I also hope that you won’t be alone, unless that is your wish.  I am thinking of you and will pray for you.  All my best, my dear.  Pam