Honored Contributor

Holiday Depression, Am I The Only One?

I always adored the holidays, Thanksgiving through Christmas, decorated and celebrated to the max!

But all of that changed a few years ago when my family and my 4 siblings and families had a Christmas family reunion.

It was great to have all of us together for the first time in over 20 years, coming from different cities and one from CA to celebrate the holidays, the videos are priceless.

Leaving the reunion the day after Christmas, my oldest brother and his family were in a catastrophic car accident and we lost our 6 year old niece and our 8 year old nephew, my brother had traumatic brain injuries and died 6 months later.

A couple of years ago, my other brother in CA, whose birthday was 11/28 and who I was closest to, we spoke at least 2-3 times a day, committed suicide.

No warning, no history or evidence of depression, drug or alcohol issues. I'll always wonder what signal I must've missed.

My point in this thread?

Hold the ones you love close....you're luckier than you can possibly imagine.

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Occasional Contributor

Re: Holiday Depression, Am I The Only One?

I am so very sorry for your tragic loss. I feel the same way as you do. I lost my 27 year old Son. Holiday's are horrible for us now. We are all so depressed during these times.

May God Bless all of us who have lost the people who mean the most to us. 
Marianne

Trusted Contributor

i think holiday depression hits a lot o fpeople. 

we expect the holday seasosn to be perfect with the perfect family and such and it is not.

no family or holiday isperfect and when peopkle realize that fact, it won't be easy.

many people have to deal with the loss of a loved one and that isnever easy either. 

Honored Contributor

@KingstonsMom @I understand your sadness after all you have lost.I hope one day you will find some happiness during holidays by reliving your good memories.I wish I could help you through your pain at this time of the year.....come and visit us on the Preds thread if you want some silly company.

Trusted Contributor

No words could ever comfort losses like these.  I am so sorry and you are so right about treasuring our loved ones while we have them.  Everything can change in a second and then you have beautiful memories but no chance of holding them tight or sharing your thoughts ever again.  Life is precious.

Snarky responders need not reply. Move along and share your views elsewhere.
Highlighted
Honored Contributor

@KingstonsMom -

That is such a heartbreaking hard to comprehend loss at any time.

I am so sorry and I know you will neverforget them.

Sometimes it just never seems fair at all.

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Honored Contributor

When tragedies occur, when people pass away, when family traditions change, there can be depression around the holidays.  I believe the holidays always remind us of those who have passed and who were so much a part of our holiday celebration and cheer.  We think of  loved ones all year but around the holidays we seem to focus on the memories we shared and while happy memories, they also make us feel sad.  

While my traditions have changed over the years, people have passed away, the big family gatherings are few if at all, I still decorate and I am thankful for those who are in my life now, family and friends.

Honored Contributor

That had to be traumatic. I totally understand why you feel depressed.

Trusted Contributor

Wow @KingstonsMom that's a lot for your heart to go through, and I can't imagine. Nobody would question holiday depression over those extremely sad losses. 

Many ppl get depressed at this time without any reason, they just do. 

(I received a text from my brother that he wished it was January 2nd. It causes a lot of folks bad anxiety). 

⚓️
Trusted Contributor

God Bless you.  I will remember you in my prayers tonight.