Respected Contributor

Hilary Mantel -Wolf Hall - Heads Up!

The above tv series Wolf Hall - based on the Booker prize winning book - is starting this Sunday on PBS channel on TV. I read this book - and the follow- up - really excited to see how it comes out.
Respected Contributor

Re: Hilary Mantel -Wolf Hall - Heads Up!

I hated this book so much. I will not be watching.

Honored Contributor

Me too, I couldn't finish it which is a rarity......

Respected Contributor

I know what you mean - that is why I am going to watch the tv production it should be easier to follow plus Damion Lewis is in it -going to,give it a try.
Trusted Contributor

I love anything about the Tudors! I'll be watching.
Respected Contributor

I watched the Tudors and normally, I love historical shows. DH and I watched. He was falling asleep and I was nearly with him.

I will watch next week but geez, I hope it picks up the pace a bit.

Honored Contributor

I wanted to love this but it was beyond slow and boring. My husband fell asleep.

If you do not know the back story of Henry VIII, Thomas Cromwell, Cardinal Wolsey, etc, you are definitely at a disadvantage.

It's debatable whether or not I'll watch again.

Esteemed Contributor

I haven't read and don't know anything about the book, but I've really been looking forward to watching the show.

I agree with lulu2. I don't think I would have been able to follow the plot at all if I didn't already have some knowledge of the story. Due to the flip-flopping back and forth between three(or more?) different periods in time, and the slowness, I was disappointed. I won't give up yet, though.

Valued Contributor

I read the book several years ago.

I am hoping that the series will continue to give glimpses into Cromwell's life aside from his interactions with the crown. I wonder how his political life might have differed had he not lost his wife and daughters to illness.

Honored Contributor

I've tried watching it a couple times but I just end up turning it off. Cromwell doesn't really interest me though and I've had enough with the English Reformation period.

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval