Honored Contributor

Re: Hiker found after missing in Zion National Park for twelve days

Any well-experienced hiker never hikes alone.  What was she thinking??

Trusted Contributor

@Sushismom wrote:

And why are we, the public, entitled to know where she was, what she did during the time she was missing? Don't get me wrong, I'm just as curious.

Well, we the public were supposed to be so concerned for her that we'd volunteer to go rescue her.  Also, alot of taxpaper money was spent looking for her.  It's just human nature that if the public's interest in something is stoked up, we like to know "the rest of the story."

Like you, I am very glad she was found safe.  So nice to hear of a good ending to a mystery.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Anonymous032819 wrote:

Until otherwise, I believe her.

Not all parks have a ranger's station, where people check in.

She probably wanted to be away from her cell phone while she hiked, and knew that the cell service would be sketchy at best.

I guess people haven't seen a single wilderness survival show on tv.

I highly recommend watching a few, and you quickly learn that it is possible to survive with little to no supplies.

One can build shelter, using nothing more than tree boughs.

One can find plants and other edibles, such as fish, and bugs to eat.

One can collect water from a stream, the morning dew, rain, etc to drink.

And when she was reported missing, the fish and game probably told other hikers, "Hey, keep an eye out for this missing hiker".

So it is entirely possible to survive using what nature provides, if you have the knowledge of how to do it.

With her being an experienced hiker, I have no doubt that she had some wilderness skills prior to this hike.

Hell, one can even take wilderness survival courses, where they will teach you how to survive in the wilderness with the bare minimum.

@Anonymous032819  There is a ranger station.  However, she was reported missing when she failed to show up for a shuttle.

Once she failed to show up for the shuttle (and believe me, they do stress very strongly on those trips to show up on time) I'm sure it was reported right away.

The rangers would have put out an alert, certainly. 

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Esteemed Contributor

@DottieBlue wrote:

@Sushismom wrote:

And why are we, the public, entitled to know where she was, what she did during the time she was missing? Don't get me wrong, I'm just as curious.

Well, we the public were supposed to be so concerned for her that we'd volunteer to go rescue her.  Also, alot of taxpaper money was spent looking for her.  It's just human nature that if the public's interest in something is stoked up, we like to know "the rest of the story."

Like you, I am very glad she was found safe.  So nice to hear of a good ending to a mystery.

They have trained  volunteers, who know what to look for, and what to do if they find someone.

The Sky looks different when you have someone you love up there.
Honored Contributor

Heard in the news that she bumped her head and was injured and got disoriented and lost.  She spent the last 2 weeks near a stream so she had water.

What I think is weird, is that a creditable source provided a tip as to her whereabouts so she she was found.  If someone knew she was out there are saw her, why didn't they just help her?

Esteemed Contributor

@Carmie wrote:

Heard in the news that she bumped her head and was injured and got disoriented and lost.  She spent the last 2 weeks near a stream so she had water.

What I think is weird, is that a creditable source provided a tip as to her whereabouts so she she was found.  If someone knew she was out there are saw her, why didn't they just help her?

Maybe they couldn't help her, or didn't know how to.

That person did the right  thing by notifying authorities that she had been found so that trained rescuers who knew how to safely extricate her could help her.

The Sky looks different when you have someone you love up there.
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

In my state of Colorado, if you need to be rescued from outdoor related activities, such as hiking, then you are responsible to pay for the rescue. There is a special card which you can buy from the SAR office which will pay for some of it. Some areas in the state require this type of coverage and will not allow anyone into those areas w/o it. I worked for the county SAR for a number of years and usually people who venture out all alone are the ones who are at risk the most.  It is never wise to hike alone even if you may be a very experienced hiker.  Bad things can happen unexpectedly and w/o warning all the time.

That woman was totally irresponsible and should be held accountable to pay, at least in part, for her rescue. She was lucky to have gotten help when she did. I hope she learned a lesson.

Trusted Contributor

@GoneButNotForgotten wrote:

@Daisy Sunflower wrote:

I don't believe it. Wonder where she really was before someone happened to see her.

I wonder if she had some kind of assignation...or maybe she was fasting and hoping for a vision...who knows...

I also think many details are missing.  I wondered if she was a suicide attempt.  Many details missing... But glad she was found.  Here family would have always wondered what happened and why!

Happiness is ALWAYS an inside job,
Don't assign anyone else that much POWER
in your life!!!
Honored Contributor

@Anonymous032819 wrote:

She probably wanted to be away from her cell phone while she hiked, and knew that the cell service would be sketchy at best.

If she wanted to "be away from her cell phone", she simply had to turn it off.  At least then she would've had it with her, when she apparently bumped her head, and could've called for help.  Or at least switched it on so that with luck her location could've been trapped.

Or even, used it as a beacon with the flashlight function.  I see no good reason for leaving her phone behind.

I suspect many of us are aware of the correct safety protocol, especially when hiking alone.  Taking no form of communication with you isn't a good idea.  I don't need to watch a survival show to teach me that.  (And I hear enough news on my local station of hikers lost in my own state; many aren't so lucky.)

Trusted Contributor

@MindyD
I just now read a good article from CNN about this. @Carmie is correct that she hit her head and was disoriented...staying by a stream. She was malnourished and dehydrated when found. She stayed overnight at a hospital. She said she hit her head on a tree early on. The searchers were going to end the search but her daughter said no...that she wanted to find her.

I didn't see her being rescued but others here said she walked out. I find that strange because she said she couldn't take more a step or two while lost because of exhaustion. So how did she walk out?? The "credible" source was mentioned but no details.

I know a cell phone would only last a day so l don't know how that would have been helpful.

It's still a strange story but I'm happy for her and her family she was found alive.