Esteemed Contributor

Hike in Senior Pass to National Parks

•  I heard that the Lifetime Senior Pass to National Parks goes from $10 to $80 on 28 August.  Has anyone else heard about this?  Btw I have had my pass for 13 years but we are going to purchase another for DH on Monday.
Honored Contributor

Re: Hike in Senior Pass to National Parks

Wow!  That's a huge hike, and no, I hadn't heard.

Contributor

Yes.I am in Va. and my husband read about this.We plan on making a trip and getting our lifetime passes before they go up.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I got an email this morning from AMAC (by the way, better than AARP) with a good article about this increase, unfortunately they did not give a link, so I googled USGS  and once there went to USGS Store and found what I needed to apply for a pass. 

I ordered the Senior Lifetime Pass today and had heard about this benefit, got it before price increase. Please note, USGS Store website states if your order is submitted before increase date of 8/28, you get the original price. I ordered online, cost was $20 total–$10 for pass, $10 for online processing fee. NOTE: You are required to register and set up an account validating your email, to order at the USGS Store. I had put the pass in the cart prior to registration, but it held the order and worked well. There was no request during registration for proof of age or my birthdate; after order goes through you are asked to upload documentation to age!  The article and website stated there is a backlog for mail-in and online ordering of about 8-9 weeks, reason I mention ordering prior to date of increase. Here is a link to the AMAC article:

https://amac.us/senior-lifetime-pass-national-parks-increasing-need-now/

Here is the USGS Store site link:

https://store.usgs.gov/

Hope both will help...

Honored Contributor

@ScarletDove wrote:

I got an email this morning from AMAC--Assoc for Mature American Citizens (by the way, better than AARP) with a good article about this increase, unfortunately they did not give a link, so I googled USGS  and once there went to USGS Store and found what I needed to apply for a pass.  It is a govt website, not the best designed but poked around till find the pass needed.

I ordered the Senior Lifetime Pass 7/15/17, I am over 70 and had heard about this benefit, got it before price increase. Please note, USGS Store website states if your order is submitted before increase date of 8/28, you get the original price. I ordered online, cost was $20 total–$10 for pass, $10 for online processing fee. NOTE: You are required to register and set up an account validating your email, to order at the USGS Store. I had put the pass in the cart prior to registration, but it held the order and worked well. There was no request during registration for proof of age or my birthdate!  The article and website stated there is a backlog for mail-in and online ordering of about 8-9 weeks, reason I mentioned ordering prior to date of increase; if you plan to travel soon they suggest you go to a parks facility in person to apply.  I am not traveling soon so used online ordering.  Here is a link to the AMAC article:

Hope both will help...

I already have my Lifetime pass and I disagree about the AMAC.

Respected Contributor

@ScarletDove, thanks very much for posting this. I am going to order mine before the increase.

BTW, you must be 62 or older to qualify for the pass, and you are required to upload documentation as part of the online application. The qualifying documentation (passport, drivers licence, etc.) will have your birthdate on it. So I wouldn't bother trying to apply if you're not 62 or older.

Mailed applications postmarked by 8/27 will be accepted.

Respected Contributor

@proudlyfromNJ wrote:

@ScarletDove wrote:

I got an email this morning from AMAC--Assoc for Mature American Citizens (by the way, better than AARP) with a good article about this increase, unfortunately they did not give a link, so I googled USGS  and once there went to USGS Store and found what I needed to apply for a pass.  It is a govt website, not the best designed but poked around till find the pass needed.

I ordered the Senior Lifetime Pass 7/15/17, I am over 70 and had heard about this benefit, got it before price increase. Please note, USGS Store website states if your order is submitted before increase date of 8/28, you get the original price. I ordered online, cost was $20 total–$10 for pass, $10 for online processing fee. NOTE: You are required to register and set up an account validating your email, to order at the USGS Store. I had put the pass in the cart prior to registration, but it held the order and worked well. There was no request during registration for proof of age or my birthdate!  The article and website stated there is a backlog for mail-in and online ordering of about 8-9 weeks, reason I mentioned ordering prior to date of increase; if you plan to travel soon they suggest you go to a parks facility in person to apply.  I am not traveling soon so used online ordering.  Here is a link to the AMAC article:

Hope both will help...

I agree with you regarding the AMAC. OP  is being a bit disingenuous.  The AMAC is a conservative organization and only "better" if that is your political persuasion 

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Ms tyrion2 wrote:

@proudlyfromNJ wrote:

I agree with you regarding the AMAC. OP  is being a bit disingenuous.  The AMAC is a conservative organization and only "better" if that is your political persuasion 

@Ms tyrion2  I am sorry you think me disingenuous because I have a preference.....have been a member of both.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@noodleann wrote:

@ScarletDove, thanks very much for posting this. I am going to order mine before the increase.

BTW, you must be 62 or older to qualify for the pass, and you are required to upload documentation as part of the online application. The qualifying documentation (passport, drivers licence, etc.) will have your birthdate on it. So I wouldn't bother trying to apply if you're not 62 or older.

Mailed applications postmarked by 8/27 will be accepted.

@noodleann  When I registered and ordered, the website asked for an upload after it went through, I missed it but found the request in my account......thanks for your notation or I would have missed or ignored it.....

Esteemed Contributor

I am so glad that I saw this.  I printed out the form and will mail it on Monday.  We got DH one last year when we were in New Mexico, but I like to have my own.  He probably doesn't even know where his is. 

The next time that I hear salt and ice together, it better be in a margarita!