Valued Contributor

Re: Highly sensitive person...this is a real personality trait

On 2/17/2015 MickD said: Psychopathology....sociopathology.....narcissisism.....

I was JUST going to post these 2..

Fighting for them.( formerly EMTHeart)
https://www.facebook.com/ChicagoAnimalCareandControl/?hc_ref=ARQABXWGU0QxJ8S0etv9UWoAqEOZu1NXSKeSB0FeztlSRyGYWx17U1XqY_nz92D_IGQ

Honored Contributor

On 2/17/2015 Alley Catvocate said:
On 2/17/2015 dooBdoo said:
On 2/17/2015 Complicated said:

what if the highly sensitive person is "normal" and the others are the "problem" people?

who decides what the norm is?

I don't know if that's a rhetorical question... but the answer is (as I think you know) the professionals who dedicate their lives to studying and researching do their best to identify, diagnose and treat mental illnesses, personality disorders (which are as real and as can be as devastating as any other physical illness). It's a complex field, but an important one.

(Hi, Marianne!Smile)

EXACTLY!!

Hi, EMT!{#emotions_dlg.thumbup1}

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova
Respected Contributor

what if the highly sensitive person is "normal" and the others are the "problem" people?

I don't know if that's a rhetorical question... but the answer is (as I think you know) the professionals who dedicate their lives to studying and researching do their best to identify, diagnose and treat mental illnesses, personality disorders (which are as real and as can be as devastating as any other physical illness). It's a complex field, but an important one.

(Hi, Marianne!Smile)

EXACTLY!!

But sometimes, as we know, that is not always true. Sometimes, we just label.

This woman, in the OP's post, could have a diagnosed disorder, or she could not.

If she is diagnosed, and her employer values her contributions, it would seem that they would or should want to accommodate her as they would for any other disability do make her more able to do her work.

If she is unable to perform her work with reasonable accommodations, then that is another issue that would have to be dealt with.

I did not read (perhaps I missed it?) that there has been a medical diagnosis.

Respected Contributor

Beanie it is so nice that you are doing your level best to make this a good working situation but I wonder what does your co-worker have to do on her part to do the same for you?

Why is it so one sided? Is she responsible for having to do her part as well?

This all came about because her space was invaded?? Wow... sounds more like she has control issues and just can't or won't work with others well.

Super Contributor

On 2/17/2015 reese2 said:
On 2/17/2015 Marmalade said:

Some experts consider the HSP closely related to also having a BPD (borderline personality disorder). I agree and have no sympathy for them at all.

If they are DIAGNOSED, how can you not have sympathy?

It is mental illness...

Exactly, but some people don't want to hear that. I wonder if a lack of empathy and compassion has a clinical name for it?

And there are degrees of being sensitive, not everyone is sensitive to the extreme that it has a negative impact on their life. I will take being sensitive over the opposite any day.

Valued Contributor

On 2/17/2015 Marmalade said:

Some experts consider the HSP closely related to also having a BPD (borderline personality disorder). I agree and have no sympathy for them at all.

Perhaps that is why the state of mental health care in this country is woefully lacking.

Valued Contributor

Hola, dooBdoo...{#emotions_dlg.wub}

Thought of you yesterday as the car in front of me had DoBloo7 plates(something like that)..LOL

Fighting for them.( formerly EMTHeart)
https://www.facebook.com/ChicagoAnimalCareandControl/?hc_ref=ARQABXWGU0QxJ8S0etv9UWoAqEOZu1NXSKeSB0FeztlSRyGYWx17U1XqY_nz92D_IGQ

Super Contributor

On 2/17/2015 Melania2 said:

Beanie it is so nice that you are doing your level best to make this a good working situation but I wonder what does your co-worker have to do on her part to do the same for you?

Why is it so one sided? Is she responsible for having to do her part as well?

This all came about because her space was invaded?? Wow... sounds more like she has control issues and just can't or won't work with others well. Management is okay with that? Oh so they throw HR at it but she is an employee just as you are and has to do as others do. In her home it's a choice but not at work.

AMEN

Honored Contributor

(Hi, Marianne!Smile)

EXACTLY!!

But sometimes, as we know, that is not always true. Sometimes, we just label.

This woman, in the OP's post, could have a diagnosed disorder, or she could not.

If she is diagnosed, and her employer values her contributions, it would seem that they would or should want to accommodate her as they would for any other disability do make her more able to do her work.

If she is unable to perform her work with reasonable accommodations, then that is another issue that would have to be dealt with.

I did not read (perhaps I missed it?) that there has been a medical diagnosis.

I don't see any reference to a documented medical diagnosis, either. That makes a big difference. It's important, in figuring out how to mesh with others in the workplace and in everyday interactions with others.Smile

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova
Honored Contributor

Hola, dooBdoo...{#emotions_dlg.wub}

Thought of you yesterday as the car in front of me had DoBloo7 plates(something like that)..LOL

{#emotions_dlg.laugh}