Honored Contributor

Re: Higher food prices this fall

I am in California and we had out last rain 1.5 weeks ago.  For the first time in years I did not grow veggies from seed.  We just bought 3 plants, 2 cucumber and one zucchini. They are about 12"tall , seems a little late, bit we will see.  

Honored Contributor

@cherry @People will be fine with less stuff but food they must have.I hope that we can start buying more produce from Canada.Our dollar is higher than theirs and their regulations and standards for food safety are excellent.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@dex   Canada is also suffering  from food problems. I googled food prices ,and many countries are experiencing problems

I think people in general, really don't have much of an idea  how little some families must exist on. They pay the same prices as we do, for everything, and most do not have a surplus of clothing, they can't afford to. I have seen it first hand..

People in my area are very fortunate. All of the churches feed the hungry. There is a food pantry, or a hot meal available ,in my town, every day of the week. Transportation might be a concern, but, if they can travel they can be fed.

We start at our food pantry next week

Esteemed Contributor

I have been keeping some school age nieces and nephews a little bit this summer and I am amazed how much food these kids can eat. I'm not talking junk food either. I'm happy to fix for them, but if I was on a fixed budget, I'm not sure what I would do. Make a big pot of beans and cornbread, I guess.

And most kids will need new clothes and shoes for school. They out grow everything so fast, or the ones I know do.

I do feel for folks.