Respected Contributor

Re: Higher charge due to method of payment

One of my local fruit, vegetable and meat stores has posted a sign that they will be adding a surcharge to all non-cash purchases. Given the high competition in the area, I can't see this working out well for the business.

'I refuse to engage in a battle of wits with an unarmed man'.......Unknown
Honored Contributor

@Abrowneyegirl wrote:

@Bri369 wrote:

That doesn't seem right.

Maybe she misunderstood...

Yes I assumed she meant 3%, she showed me the entire story online and the lobbying efforts.  My DH who is in the retail sector was surprised I was unaware of this situation.  

The only relief in the near future is refuse iOS payment or add a 30% surcharge.

I am not an Apple user so.........

@Abrowneyegirl 

i think your friend is getting her information mixed up. this has nothing to do with regular merchants or fees charged. it DOES have to do with software developers and putting/selling their apps on the app store.

The U.S. Supreme Court is expected to allow an antitrust lawsuit to move forward that could force Apple to cut its 30 percent transaction fee it charges software developers who sell apps through iTunes and its App Store. The final ruling could potentially impact the music and media streaming landscape as we know it -- and endanger Apple’s future plans to expand its services business.

Oral arguments for Apple Inc. v. Pepper (17-204) -- in which a group of iPhone consumers have accused Apple of monopolistic practices with respect to restricting market activity in its App Store -- were heard Monday (Nov. 26) in Washington, D.C., with the federal court expressing near-unanimous, bipartisan support for the consumers’ right to sue.

Apple first implemented its 30-percent commission on app transactions in February 2011, shortly after its App Store officially launched to the public. In June 2016, the tech behemoth modified its commission slightly, such that it would take 30 percent of first-year subscription revenue but only 15 percent of renewal revenue in subsequent years.

https://www.billboard.com/articles/business/tech/8486760/apple-30-percent-transaction-fee-in-app-sub...

https://daily.jstor.org/its-time-to-break-up-the-apple-app-store/

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Esteemed Contributor

@reiki604 wrote:

One of my local fruit, vegetable and meat stores has posted a sign that they will be adding a surcharge to all non-cash purchases. Given the high competition in the area, I can't see this working out well for the business.

Have been seeing this at more and more places.  Most people  will not even blink an eye.  As someone who uses mostly cash, glad not to pay higher prices to cover these administrative fees

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.
Honored Contributor

@CrazyDaisy wrote:

@reiki604 wrote:

Have been seeing this at more and more places.  Most people  will not even blink an eye.  As someone who uses mostly cash, glad not to pay higher prices to cover these administrative fees

But for many places, you’re not ‘paying more.’

For example:

$1.00 for a can of Coke at 7-11

$1.00 for a can of Coke at Cash Only Store

The customer pays the same $1.00....it’s just how it’s allocated 

which really doesn’t affect the customer...unless they’re credit only.

Same-Same. 

Esteemed Contributor

@sidsmom wrote:

@CrazyDaisy wrote:

@reiki604 wrote:

For example:

Same-Same. 

No that is not what they are doing.....

$1.00 for cash purchases

$1.03 for debit/credit purchases

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.
Respected Contributor

@sunshine45 wrote:

@Abrowneyegirl wrote:

The U.S. Supreme Court is expected to allow an antitrust lawsuit to move forward that could force Apple to cut its 30 percent transaction fee it charges software developers who sell apps through iTunes and its App Store. The final ruling could potentially impact the music and media streaming landscape as we know it -- and endanger Apple’s future plans to expand its services business.

Oral arguments for Apple Inc. v. Pepper (17-204) -- in which a group of iPhone consumers have accused Apple of monopolistic practices with respect to restricting market activity in its App Store -- were heard Monday (Nov. 26) in Washington, D.C., with the federal court expressing near-unanimous, bipartisan support for the consumers’ right to sue.

Apple first implemented its 30-percent commission on app transactions in February 2011, shortly after its App Store officially launched to the public. In June 2016, the tech behemoth modified its commission slightly, such that it would take 30 percent of first-year subscription revenue but only 15 percent of renewal revenue in subsequent years.

https://www.billboard.com/articles/business/tech/8486760/apple-30-percent-transaction-fee-in-app-sub...

https://daily.jstor.org/its-time-to-break-up-the-apple-app-store/

Correct she owns a small business that has online programs and courses she sell ONLINE.  People can participate on their computer or phone (I am sure most participate by phone/tablet)  for tablets or phone you enter via an app.  For iPhone or iPad users it costs her -the business owner 30% off the top of the sale.  She does not sell subscriptions so I assume th 15% reduction for renewnels does not apply to her.  But 15% is still high!!

Honored Contributor

@CrazyDaisy wrote:

@sidsmom wrote:

@CrazyDaisy wrote:

@reiki604 wrote:

For example:

Same-Same. 

$1.00 for cash purchases

Do Cash Only Stores advertise ‘cheaper’ prices?

A ‘Us vs Them’ difference?

Respected Contributor

@CrazyDaisy wrote:

@sidsmom wrote:

For example:

Same-Same. 

$1.00 for cash purchases

THIS is correct.

We were away recently and when we stopped for gas there was a cash price per gallon and a cc price per gallon noted.  We saved a few dollars by paying cash.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@sidsmom wrote:

@CrazyDaisy wrote:

@sidsmom wrote:

@CrazyDaisy wrote:

@reiki604 wrote:

For example:

Same-Same. 

$1.00 for cash purchases

They are not "cash only" stores.  Most places I have seen add a 3% transaction fee if you use your debit/credit card instead of paying cash. 

Honored Contributor

@CrazyDaisy wrote:

@sidsmom wrote:

@CrazyDaisy wrote:

@sidsmom wrote:

@CrazyDaisy wrote:

@reiki604 wrote:

For example:

Same-Same. 

$1.00 for cash purchases

They are not "cash only" stores.  Most places I have seen add a 3% transaction fee if you use your debit/credit card I stead of paying cash. 

But it’s common knowledge credit is more expensive.

(see post #10)

It’s a Half-Empty, Half-Full situation.

Instead of thinking of it as an ‘add’ with cc...which is normal business, 

think of it as a ‘SCORE! discount’ with cash.  🤷‍♀️