Respected Contributor

Higher charge due to method of payment

A friend of ours is a business owner and last night a dinner we were talking and she noted that if she accepts payment via iOS Apple iTunes she loses 30% to Apple.

YES 30% ( I assumed she meant 3%) Apple charges the merchant 30% transaction fee!! Companies are lobbying to get this changed in the mean time the goverment is allowing merchants to up charge iOS purchasers 30% more to account for the fees.

What is Apple thinking?!?!  

Trusted Contributor

Re: Higher charge due to method of payment

Well, Apple is discontinuing iTunes very soon, so her problems may be over at that time. No iTunes, no payment that way. 

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

That doesn't seem right.

Maybe she misunderstood...

Respected Contributor

@gizmogal wrote:

Well, Apple is discontinuing iTunes very soon, so her problems may be over at that time. No iTunes, no payment that way. 

Not iTunes the music/movie store it is the backend method of iOS payment system.  When iPhone users use iPay to make payments it is processed through Apple as opposed to Visa or MC etc.  I assume Apple Watch is the same way?

Honored Contributor

No idea what Apple's thought process is, but why would a merchant agree to those terms?   Lots of merchants used to refuse AmEX cards because they had to pay a much, much, much smaller excess fee.

As a consumer, I don't pay all that much attention to the fees retailers have to pay.  I have a hard enough time protecting me -  they have to protect themselves -  30%????  Can't imagine anything they'd be getting for that kind of cut!

Respected Contributor

@Bri369 wrote:

That doesn't seem right.

Yes I assumed she meant 3%, she showed me the entire story online and the lobbying efforts.  My DH who is in the retail sector was surprised I was unaware of this situation.  

The only relief in the near future is refuse iOS payment or add a 30% surcharge.

I am not an Apple user so.........

Esteemed Contributor

Also, good idea to keep bank check on hand. Online DMV states they now take debit/credit. I noticed small sign stating 5% assessment fee if one doesn't pay check / cash. Nothing mentioned online. Bummer. Administration fees passed along to consumer.

"I took a walk in the woods and came out taller than the trees." Henry David Thoreau
Honored Contributor

Did she mean Apple Pay?

30%???  No way. 

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?
Honored Contributor

@Abrowneyegirl wrote:

@Bri369 wrote:

That doesn't seem right.

Yes I assumed she meant 3%, she showed me the entire story online and the lobbying efforts.  My DH who is in the retail sector was surprised I was unaware of this situation.  

The only relief in the near future is refuse iOS payment or add a 30% surcharge.

I am not an Apple user so.........

I can't see a business agreeing to those terms.

Honored Contributor

This isn’t new.

Businesses are being charged for regular ‘ole

MasterCard/Visa/AmEx/etc payments.

Now is it 30%? Probably not, but the business still

has to pay for the convenience.