Trusted Contributor

Hey, Posters From Pennsylvania

Your governor is closing all non-essential businesses. What businesses has your governor classified as non-essential?

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Hey, Posters From Pennsylvania

I don't live in Pennsylvania.  But if I had a business there and was told to close, I am not sure I would do it.  Businesses have to keep the income coming in to pay their bills.  Rents/mortgages, taxes, and payroll, not to mention invoices from suppliers all have to be paid.  Closing for even a few weeks could put some people so behind that they go out of business.  I would likely take precautions and carry on as best I could.

Always remember that you are absolutely unique. Just like everyone else. Margaret Mead
Honored Contributor
Respected Contributor

The governor of Ohio has just closed everything here.  I think the only thing left open will be the grocery stores and gas stations.  Our college had already delayed classes until next week, and only online.  Now they are telling us (office workers) we probably won't be allowed to come to work after tomorrow morning, and they want us to work from home.......but what about answering student phone calls?  I'm miserable over this.  (So far there are no confirmed cases in my county.)   @Laura14 @Sheila P-Burg @Puppy Lips 

Laura loves cats!
Honored Contributor

@2blonde If you control your voicemail, I would just tell them to contact you via email if they can or direct them elsewhere if you can, or if you have zero control, apology and hope you'll be back soon.  

Esteemed Contributor

@2blonde wrote:

The governor of Ohio has just closed everything here.  I think the only thing left open will be the grocery stores and gas stations.  Our college had already delayed classes until next week, and only online.  Now they are telling us (office workers) we probably won't be allowed to come to work after tomorrow morning, and they want us to work from home.......but what about answering student phone calls?  I'm miserable over this.  (So far there are no confirmed cases in my county.)   @Laura14 @Sheila P-Burg @Puppy Lips 

Not true, there are plenty of businesses that remain open.

Panic and fear

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.
Respected Contributor

@Laura14   I work in the admissions and registration office, and all of us are on a call center here, so they don't call me directly.  Students need questions answered and they have to fulfill requirements before they can register for summer or fall classes.  Many will drop out of current classes because they are unable to take classes online.  We are already on shakey financial ground here.  This could kill us, and I don't know if we will be paid our full salary.

Laura loves cats!
Honored Contributor

So sorry @2blonde .  You and I can swap unemployment stories together.  🙁. I hope you'll be okay and this is all over soon. ❤️

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

@2blonde  ..... I am in Ohio and I haven't heard of him closing down other than the bars and restaurants for dine in. He did mention something about voting. My county just closed all county buildings except for workers. No public allowed in.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@2blonde wrote:

@Laura14   I work in the admissions and registration office, and all of us are on a call center here, so they don't call me directly.  Students need questions answered and they have to fulfill requirements before they can register for summer or fall classes.  Many will drop out of current classes because they are unable to take classes online.  We are already on shakey financial ground here.  This could kill us, and I don't know if we will be paid our full salary.

You are not alone in that regard.  This just totally sucks for everyone, some more than others.  We have no control over this.  I am doing my best to think positive and know that in the end, it will all work out.  And if it doesn't, then oh well.  It is what it is.  We can still choose to be happy.

Always remember that you are absolutely unique. Just like everyone else. Margaret Mead