Esteemed Contributor

Re: 🧪 Hey New Yorkers. I have a❓🧪

@BeeChee wrote:

I live in NC and I had to FIGHT to get tested.  I work retail, I HAD it, and couldn't get tested!!!??

I called the hotline and was told that my county was ONLY testing:

1) Over 65

2) If you've been out of the country or had direct contact with a person who has tested positive.

3) Have an underlying condition.

I was none of the three.  Only when my temp jumped on the 16th day did I go to the ER and fight for a test!

I would LOVE to now take a serology but, I have only heard of one place near me, but it was for first responders.

All of the numbers are crazy, especially when you think that only 1-5% of each areas population has been tested, so that leaves 95-99% that have been infected or waiting to get infected!!

I have no words, except STAY HOME UNTIL WE GET TESTING ON EVERY CORNER!!!

Smiley Happy

@BeeChee 

How did you finally confirm that you had it?

"Breathe in, breathe out, move on." Jimmy Buffett
Honored Contributor

@shoesnbags wrote:

@BeeChee wrote:

I live in NC and I had to FIGHT to get tested.  I work retail, I HAD it, and couldn't get tested!!!??

I called the hotline and was told that my county was ONLY testing:

1) Over 65

2) If you've been out of the country or had direct contact with a person who has tested positive.

3) Have an underlying condition.

I was none of the three.  Only when my temp jumped on the 16th day did I go to the ER and fight for a test!

I would LOVE to now take a serology but, I have only heard of one place near me, but it was for first responders.

All of the numbers are crazy, especially when you think that only 1-5% of each areas population has been tested, so that leaves 95-99% that have been infected or waiting to get infected!!

I have no words, except STAY HOME UNTIL WE GET TESTING ON EVERY CORNER!!!

Smiley Happy

@BeeChee 

How did you finally confirm that you had it?

She said she got it at the ER because her fever was high enough.

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Honored Contributor

On LI some sites are FEMA funded & some are set up by the state. You need to call for an appointment, & there are certain criteria before you even get that appointment. Some of the sites use the Abbott Labs rapid testing; some do not.

And Cuomo has done a fantastic job explaining why we all cannot get tested. Apparently it's up to the Federal Government to go about procuring the reagents for those tests, not the states.

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼
Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

@fthunt wrote:

Who knows? - it's a big state - and Mr. C   loves to talk.  (& whine)

Thank goodness he loves to talk.  NYers feel like the most well-informed people in the country regarding this virus.  The best thing a leader can do in a crisis situation like this is to let the public know exactly what's going on and to tell the truth.  He has done both and I'm very grateful for his leadership, great communication and guidance as well as compassion - all qualities sorely lacking in others. When his news conferences are streamed on line I am astonished at the online comments from listeners all over the world about what a great leader he is.  They can't all be wrong.

Whine?  I guess that would be your biased interpretation.  You may see his asking for help from the govt as whining but it's very necessary. NYC is an international hub for trade and travel, the major financial and manufacturing hub as well.  Although I admit I'm not particularly astute in economics I would think if NY doesn't bounce back I believe it will greatly impact the rest of the country.

Wear a mask. Social distance. Be part of the solution - not part of the problem.
Valued Contributor
Honored Contributor

@Stevie Nix 

You're a better researcher than I am!  KUDOS Heart

TY Languages.png

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Esteemed Contributor

Thanks @Porcelain , I missed that!

"Breathe in, breathe out, move on." Jimmy Buffett
Valued Contributor

There are 20 testing centers here in South Florida - Miami-Dade, Broward, and Monroe Counties. Many are drive thru.

Different restrictions apply but a few have NO restrictions except to be over 18. The Governor just had a news conference to "cut the ribbon" on a new walk - up testing center.

About 1% of the 23 million Floridians have been tested.

But, again, it always depends on who you know.

Honored Contributor

@Mz iMac 

If this was from Gov. Coumo he is speaking about NY Stat and not NYC, Mayo Di Blasio speaks about NY City

@Mz iMac wrote:

Re:  NYC Covid-19 testing

In all of Cumo's press conferences he always mentions NY has done more testing than any other state. 

Are there hundreds of testing sites around NYC?

Not counting first responders & hospital patients, are ordinary citizens getting tested too if they want? 

South Joisey 2 weeks ago set up 3 testing sites.  They have been set up for weeks, but only 1 had testing kits. Smiley Mad

Currently at 1 site, ONLY first responders can get tested.

Currently at the other 2, ONLY folks who have a doctor's rx.  If you do not have one, you will be turned away.  Matter of fact, you can't even get near a testing site if you do not have a rx.

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.
Occasional Contributor

I live in New Mexico and I saw on one of our news stations that they are now testing non symptomatic people as well.  I guess they want to see how many people are non symptomatic because they can transmit the virus and not even know they had it.  New Mexico has done a great job getting people tested.  Our state has a population of 2.1 million and the 5th  largest in land mass in the country,  Our Governor took control of the situation quickly.  We now need to find a way to get our people back to work safely.