Respected Contributor

Re: Hey, New Jersey, Who Knew You Were Among the Smartest?

May I ask why you called out New Jersey with your post?

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Of course, VanSleepy.  In my time, I have heard New Jersey unfairly cast as the butt of quite a few jokes.  There were so many about there not being "place names" in the state -- just exit numbers -- and others that seemed to get a kick out of poking fun at New Jersey.   

So, when I saw New Jersey, I got a smile on my face.  As a child, we visited the Jersey shore every year of my life until I was in my early 20s, so New Jersey has always been close to my heart.

A few years ago, my dear brother and I had our last visits to Atlantic City together.  I am so happy that we had that opportunity to "go back" as elderly folks and remember what we could of what has been left behind from our youth.

(I also have a few very dear friends who live there.)

Respected Contributor

@golding76  My first thought was that it sounded pretty insulting, but I didn't think you would do that which is why I asked.  Thanks for your response 😊

Honored Contributor

I was born and raised at NJ and also spent a lot of time at NY.  I am not surprised where we stand in the smart zone and we have great schools according to what I have read.

With that being said there are good and bad all over and we do have some people who I question if they have functioning brains.  But there are places where there are a majority of those types.  We may be the brunt of jokes but as I get older, I realize more and more how fortunate I am to live here.  Yes, it is expensive tax wise but for those of us who can afford it why would we move if we are happy  I know people who have and regret it.  I'm going to leave it at that although I have much more to say.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Oh no!  I am sorry if I suggested something like that.  It was more like a "so there!" in my mind.

So many years of being put down (from the jokes I'd heard), but guess what?  We are (consistently, no less) included among the smartest states in the U.S.

Ah yes, my heart holds so many warm memories for New Jersey.  I am tearing up now. 

[When I was nearing retirement, my first thought was to move to New Jersey.  However, I was brought down to Earth immediately by a co-worker who is familiar with real estate.  He told me to check out the taxes on one's home.  

Even though I thought property taxes were steep in Virginia, they did not hold a candle to those in New Jersey.

I had to drop the idea of retiring there although it would have been a perfect fit for my family in several ways.]

Respected Contributor

@golding76 wrote:

Oh no!  I am sorry if I suggested something like that.  It was more like a "so there!" in my mind.

So many years of being put down (from the jokes I'd heard), but guess what?  We are (consistently, no less) included among the smartest states in the U.S.

Ah yes, my heart holds so many warm memories for New Jersey.  I am tearing up now. 

So does mine,  @golding76 

Esteemed Contributor

@golding76 wrote:

NYCLatinaLaw,

All I know is that a high score does not ensure success in the world.

So often, those whose score is not in the top tier possess a certain sort of personal drive or have a particular talent that propels them forward.  They make their mark in the world.  Of course it is wonderful when someone who scores high blazes a remarkable path through school and life. 

Remember, college admissions committees regard the score as only one criterion among the several criteria used to evaluate a potential student.  Some colleges and universities no longer require the test, and it never was the most important part of a student's application.

Hi @golding76 I don't understand  why you are directing this post at me.  I didn't weigh in on any of the subjects on your new post, nor do I wish to.  Honestly, I don't understand what you are writing about now.

In my initial post, I just questioned the use of test scores to make a "smartest" claim.  Some people study for these exams, some don't; some never take them.  I don't know that doing well in any of these exams makes any group of people "the smartest".

Honored Contributor

well, i will say i prefer your SECOND list more than your first @golding76 .

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Esteemed Contributor

East coast schools are known for their academic rigor.

Honored Contributor

@golding76 wrote:
[Lifted from an MSN.com piece posted now.]

Using IQ, SAT, and ACT scores, the collection of data can show which states are smarter than others. \

There are some surprises at both the top and bottom of the list.

The data does have a built-in bias, so it’s important to take it all with a grain of salt.

Based on the data, here are the top 10 smartest states in the United States:

Massachusetts

Minnesota

New Hampshire

Connecticut

Wisconsin

Kansas

Vermont

Iowa

New Jersey

Colorado

@golding76 The IQ is based on estimated IQ, not actual IQs. If you follow the link in the original article you read, (I found your article), you can see the study the figures are derived from. This IQ estimation study was published in 2006. Most people have never had an IQ test.