Honored Contributor

Only got to 99' today.  LOL  Think we'll hit the 100's next week.

dead-onion-head-emoticon.gif                         sweaty.gif

Honored Contributor

We had a chilly 95°.  Since I had some work done on my evaporative cooler, it's about to freeze me out.  It was 60° in the house at 7am so I turned it off.  Didn't turn it back on until 4pm, and even then I wasn't uncomfortable.  You can't control the temp on them, either on or off.   Costs about $20-30. a month to operate, just a fan and some water. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

Hi 90's in PHX for the next couple days............but 110's by Thurs.  

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Honored Contributor

High 90s in PHX in June is chillsville. 

@Desertdi  Have you been okay?  Haven't seen you around. 

Honored Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

High 90s in PHX in June is chillsville. 

@Desertdi  Have you been okay?  Haven't seen you around. 

Hi @Kachina624.   Thanks for asking.   Had a dental abscess over Memorial weekend.   Got that taken care of on the Tues "after"..........and then had a broken water pipe..........    My mood has been "less than cheerful".........but I'm OK now!    di

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Honored Contributor

@Desertdi  Sounds as tough life's little trials and tribulations have been keeping you busy.  Glad to hear everything is under control. 

Honored Contributor

Tell me more about this evaporative cooler business, please.

@Kachina624

Honored Contributor

Re: Hey Kachina624

[ Edited ]

I've done some research on them. think you have one that is not portable but the more expensive window based installed by a heating man.

We'll go to Loew's Mon and look at the 300sq ft cooling area size.

Takes ice and water and maybe a hose to drain, so, I don't know if I'd rather not fool with it and just be hot till it's time to turn on the air. LOL

@Kachina624

Honored Contributor

Everything is always so much trouble

Honored Contributor

Re: Hey Kachina624

[ Edited ]

@SharkE wrote:

Tell me more about this evaporative cooler business, please.

@Kachina624

@SharkE They are riduculously simple and operate in very dry climates.  They look like an AC unit and are usually on the roof.  They have a pump that sends water to a simple wheel with spouts that squirts water onto pads which are usually made of shredded aspen wood.  Then a fan blows cool air through regular ducts and vents into the house. The only cost is to run the pump and fan plus some water. There's no compressor like an AC unit has. 

They actually raise the humidity in the house which is good for the furniture.  They operate well in dry weather and okay but not as well when the humidity goes up.  Somebody has to service it in the fall by draining the water out of it, inserting a "cookie sheet" to block cold air and putting on the cover.  In the spring the process is reversed.  The homeowner can do it but I have a plumbing company do it. The pumps only last a couple of years but cost less than $25. and the pads have to be replaced periodically; they're about $45.

I left mine on all night last night.  It was 55° in the house this morning.  I turned it off and still haven't turned it on. Mine doesn't have a thermostat; it's either off or on (fan has high and low). 

Service people are always trying to sell me a refrigerated air unit.  After paying huge electric bills for years, I won't hear of it.   I don't know if Amarillo is dry enough for them. People in Midland/Odessa had them.   Mine cools my whole house through the ducts and vents for the heater. There's no ice involved in the operation.   I guess the air cools by evaporation.