Honored Contributor

Hey Grandma or Grandpa

[ Edited ]

Anyone been called with this scam yet?  When you answer the phone, the caller either says “hey Grandma” or “hey Grandpa”, depending on who answers the phone. 

The caller is trying to claim they’re your grandchild and that they’re in trouble and that they need money.  And they’d like to get you to send that money!

They’ve called us twice in the last week. Both times, I answered so I could then block the number with my handy dandy QVC call blocker thingy (one of my favorite QVC purchases ever).  

The call comes from a 514 area code, which is a Canadian area code. I googled the phone number and found the info on the scam. 

They target people in their mid 60’s and older because we’re supposedly more gullible.

It’s a real eye roller, along with calls from Rachel from Cardholder Services and the infamous call regarding problems with the Microsoft computer. 

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?
Honored Contributor

Re: Hey Grandma or Grandpa

[ Edited ]

My DIL's grandmother was targeted with that scam and believed it.  They did not get any money but scared the woman.  

Disgusting:/

Respected Contributor

This is a scam that's been around for years.  I don't ever answer my phone unless I recognize the caller ID, but if I had answered, the joke would be on the caller because I don't have any grandchildren!

Laura loves cats!
Honored Contributor

An old, old scam. Anyway, my grands each have special name for me, besides "grandma". And no one knows it but my son, DIL and the kids.

I can't believe people fall for this. I'm 70 and I've known about it for many years and I'm not stupid or gullible.

Respected Contributor

@Love my grandkids  ITA!  I find it insulting that people assume we're dumb just because we're old!

Laura loves cats!
Honored Contributor

@gidgetgh

"I answered so I could then block the number with my handy dandy QVC call blocker thingy (one of my favorite QVC purchases ever)."

You should not have to "answer the phone first" to block a call.  That would concern me.  Because once you "answer" a scam call, you are on their "sucker" list which is sold to other scammers.

As others have stated, the "grandparents" scam has been around before "personal computers & cell phones" were the norm. 

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Honored Contributor

I fell for that Microsoft scam last year but that came across my computer screen and not on the phone.

We do not have a landline and I don’t answer calls I don’t recognize on the cell.

Lastly I’ve never had a child call me grandma because I don’t have grandchildren. We do have a 3-1/2 yr old great nephew we love on and spoil.

Thanks for the reminder.

Esteemed Contributor

Also to call in the middle of the night during which your sleep is disrupted and

you are not sure if you are actually hearing your granchildren's  voice.

We get alot of calls that start with I am calling about your computer because

there is a problem with it. I just tell them that we don't have a computer and

hang up. 

Honored Contributor

Re: Hey Grandma or Grandpa

[ Edited ]

@Mz iMac wrote:

@gidgetgh

"I answered so I could then block the number with my handy dandy QVC call blocker thingy (one of my favorite QVC purchases ever)."

You should not have to "answer the phone first" to block a call.  That would concern me.  Because once you "answer" a scam call, you are on their "sucker" list which is sold to other scammers.

As others have stated, the "grandparents" scam has been around before "personal computers & cell phones" were the norm. 

I wasn’t near the phone base where the call blocker is so I answered the call so I could then block it from the handset. I successfully blocked it. I am concerned about many many things, but not this. 

This was was the first I’d heard of the Hey Grandma scam. I must live under a rock. 

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?
Super Contributor

My sister and husband were scammed about their sil. They went to walmart to send the money and the lady behind the counter allerted them to it being a scam. They called their sil's number and he answered from work. Thank goodness the walmart lady was helpful.