Respected Contributor

Re: Hey! Do you know whats going bagless in August?

@CelticCrafter wrote:

@KBEANS wrote:

I wish someone would donate their plastic bags to me. If you reuse the bags, you are recycling.
They did away with them in NYC; like many other cities have already done. We are charged 5 cents if we want a bag.

@aroc3435  I live in an apartment complex. You are not allowed to throw your garbage in the compactor chute without bagging it. The same city officials banned the use of those same plastic bags that we recycled when we threw away our trash. So now instead of recycling those supermarket bags; I buy Glad trash bags. 

I try to remember to carry a nylon bag. Sometimes you don't realize you're going to stop in a department store or supermarket. 😃  It's a spontaneous activity when you're walking around NYC.

Not really, I used to re-use the plastic bags for when I cleaned the litter box they still ended up in the landfill.

@CelticCrafter What do you use now for cleaning the litter box? I depend on those plastic grocery bags! We also use them for our very large dog when walking him.

Honored Contributor

@vermint she passed away in 2019 so I don't need them anymore.

Respected Contributor

Interesting... so are they going to discontinue doggy pick up baggies too? I mean, there are a lot of dogs 🤷🏻‍♀️

Honored Contributor

@Mustang Shar wrote:

Interesting... so are they going to discontinue doggy pick up baggies too? I mean, there are a lot of dogs 🤷🏻‍♀️

This bugs me, too.  I did find biodegradable bags.  I hope those help the situation.

Respected Contributor

@CelticCrafter I'm so sorry! Both of mine are getting old, so I'll be there myself in the next few years. 

Respected Contributor

Re: Hey! Do you whats going bagless in August?

Grocery stores here required reusable shopping bags but the employees weren't allowed to put stuff in them due to vivid rules...so the customer has to bag their own groceries after the cashier scans the items and you pay. Therefore, I only do self check-out and use my own bags. 
I never use straws in drinks due to a medical issue but the paper straws are awful. When I was a kid of course that was all they had...but I remember how they disintegrated after they sat in your glass bpvery long.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

We spend part of each year in Santa Barbara county in CA. They've been bagless ( so to speak) for years and you really get used to it quickly.  Costco has been bagless for decades; don't even think about it anymore.  My family owns A number of  Beast tumblers that all come with a set of stainless straws as well as a.straw cleaning brush, so I don't think about straws at all.

Esteemed Contributor

@CelticCrafter wrote:

NJ has been bring your own bags since May.  

Last night we went out for a bite to eat and our drinks came with paper straws, well that was just gross and actually ruined my iced tea.  My son-in-law is a district manager for a chain restaurant and has two locations out of state.  I asked him to bring home some of the plastic straws for us.  I will keep them in my bag and bring them home to rinse out.

@CelticCrafter   I bought some that you can wash out.  Some actually fold and go on a key chain.   I will not use paper, they are gross!