Honored Contributor

Hey Coloradoans

[ Edited ]

Just heard on our local news that your state has declared a "state of emergency" due to the virus.  Any idea what that consists of?

Also heard there's been a coronavirus death in New Jersey.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

sheesh

Honored Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

Just heard on our local news that your state has declared a "state of emergency" due to the virus.  Any idea what that consists of?

Also heard there's been a coronavirus death in New Jersey.

They did that in NYS last week.  That's where I reside.  I don't think it means a dang thing.  It just appeases people that are freaking out.

Respected Contributor

@Kachina624Can't speak for Colorado, but Ohio did that yesterday.  There were 3 confirmed cases and they declared a state of emergency.  The Governor said they had to do that in order to get all the "required" agencies to work together.  Could be the same in Colorado.

Honored Contributor

Re: Hey Coloradoans

[ Edited ]

Gov. Hogan in Maryland did that March 5 - it ramps up coordination between state and local health departments and emergency mgmt teams.  (as of a few hours ago we had 8 cases in MD)

“In order to further mobilize all available state resources in response to this threat to public health, I have issued a proclamation declaring a state of emergency in Maryland,” said Governor Hogan. “With this declaration, I am officially authorizing and directing the Maryland Department of Health and the Maryland Emergency Management Agency to ramp up coordination among all state and local agencies and enable them to fast-track coordination with our state and local health departments and emergency management teams.”

Honored Contributor

NJ also declared a state of emergency.

Valued Contributor

So did CT.  I think all of the states of emergency are for basically the same reasons @Mj12 stated.

Honored Contributor

I bet there's some Federal funding involved too, like when there's a forest fire or hurricane.

I've hardly heard a word about the tornado or people affected in Tennessee.  This virus is all people can talk about.  I feel badly that they haven't gotten more attention.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Trusted Contributor

@Kachina624  This is from THE DURANGO HERALD.

There are now at least 15 confirmed cases of coronavirus, formally known as COVID-19, in Colorado. Four new cases were announced on Monday alone and a fifth was being further investigated after inconclusive test results. Three more cases were announced on Tuesday, including Eagle, Gunnison and Arapahoe counties.

One of those new cases from Monday was a Larimer County woman in her 50s who has been diagnosed with pneumonia, a complication of the virus that can be deadly.  

State and local health officials have been working to isolate those who interacted with confirmed patients. Many people are in quarantine — including 13 Australians in Aspen who were traveling with a 21-year-old woman who was diagnosed with the virus after returning home to Australia last week from the resort community.

You can read the article at durangoherald.com....DW

Esteemed Contributor

Today in NY, Gov. Cuomo deployed National Guard to Coronavirus containment zone in New Rochelle.

My daughter lives & works in Westchester Cty, NY and her immediate boss resides in New Rochelle. Interesting to say the least.