Respected Contributor

Re: Heroin addiction in Ocean County, NJ

On 3/16/2014 tsavorite said:
On 3/16/2014 esmeraldagooch said:

As everyone says : The war on drugs is not working. Even EH thinks letting people off with shorter sentences is a good idea. Perhaps everything should be legal and let it be the ones who have to use drugs use them. It's always been going on anyway. Those of us who don't choose to will be fine and the ones who do will just die off.

I see your point but these folks commit crimes to get money to buy drugs...even if they were legal they would still need money to purchase them. Many home robberies/invasions are young drug addicts looking for valuables to buy the drugs. Also car accidents...many non users of drugs/alcohol are killed by the users on the roads. So they don't die off as you are saying but they kill innocent people.

Yup, They will take innocent's with them on their way out. The battle of the fittest and their are casualty's unfortunately.

Valued Contributor

-

Valued Contributor

-

Valued Contributor

I hope weed is legalized everywhere in the coming years. I think the time will come when it will be considered a miracle drug for certain health conditions.
Honored Contributor

On 3/16/2014 wookie said: I hope weed is legalized everywhere in the coming years. I think the time will come when it will be considered a miracle drug for certain health conditions.

Our Founding Fathers grew it.

Regular Contributor

I reside in Toms River and grew up in Brick one town away. For 50 years I have watched my community disintegrate. The heroin issue is traumatizing to this area. The crime has skyrocketed with burglaries and home invasions. As I grew up here this never occurred. For a fact I can tell you that most who are arrested live up north and come down here to sell and lure the youth down a road of destruction. The hotels are flooded with these vile people and arrests are made constantly. My husband was employed at the largest hotel in TR and the drug users and those who sell were inhabiting the hotel. I fear traveling alone in a town that used to be quaint. One woman was kidnapped in Brick in the neighborhood she lived in and was lucky enough to free herself. Why the towns allowed this to get so out of hand is the question we all ask. The vile human beings that walk around our town is simply sinful. You can always tell who the drug users are and how wasted they are as they walk around town or shop at our local Shopprite. We are disgusted by the downward spiral of our small towns. Politicians worry about tourists rather than the survival of those who reside here yearly. As a resident of Ocean County for 50 years we deserve better than this environment of fear. The few of us who have lived here this long simply view the area as filled with criminal element. We now have more section 8 apartments and condos that lead to gangs and the crimes they commit. I know for sure because the police in both towns have made this claim. The gangs here are not positive for the betterment of OC. Yes, this is the truth if you read the newspapers. Sad days for Ocean County.
Frequent Contributor

Hi Ford,

I hope all is well with you also. I can't believe how many around this entire area and beyond are od'ing. It seems every time I turn around I hear of any age type of person and it is killing them. From young teens,late teens, 20's, and up. It could be their first time, they could be addicted, it just doesn't matter. They are taking such a very high risk and it just is not worth it. It is a terrible batch. I can only pray they find the culprits who are making it, especially this horrible mixture of a batch and the ones who are distributing it and let them do some jail time.

You can tell people don't touch it, don't go near it,stay away from all drugs, the sad truth, they do what they want, they want to experiment and it usually is the last of the experiment. I guess people think it will never happen to them, sadly it does. They don't think of the effect it has on their family, their friends, they just need to try it or use it.

Honored Contributor

On 3/16/2014 ShowMe said:
On 3/16/2014 Ford1224 said:
On 3/16/2014 ShowMe said:
On 3/16/2014 Ford1224 said:
On 3/16/2014 tsavorite said:
On 3/16/2014 terrier3 said:

Maybe now that it is out of the inner city...more will be done to help addicts.

There was a sad story locally about a young man who first got addicted to painkillers after a sports injury...then after the MD cut off his medication, he died from a heroin overdose. It's easier to get than prescription pills. He and his parents begged for him to be put in a rehab program...but mental health services have been severely cut and there was no bed for him...

His parents are leading a campaign to discuss the dangers of prescription medication abuse by young people.

I have heard of this kind of thing happening with people alot....I have never understood it well. For some reason if I even try taking a vicodin (was perscribed after bone surgery for pain) I was so sick! I perferred the unbearable pain to the intense nausea and believe me I was in severe pain...as they removed a bone tumor along side my knee....I tried everything to even take 1/2 a pill...eating sandwich/milk and couldn't tolerate the horrendus nausea. Also it makes me dizzy.

How is it that some humans have such a positive experience and others like myself have the worst reaction. Anyone have a clue why that is?? It stinks for me as I don't know what I'll do if I have to have major surgery on my cervical spine in the yrs to come.

I have watched those Drugs Inc shows...on herion addiction...and the person just loves the feeling...they vomit 1st right after doing it...and are very nauseated but they don't care...the eurphoria is all that matters minutes later.

The same thing happens to me. You have two choices, pain or nausea. For me, nausea (and dizziness) is the worst feeling in the world, so I deal with the pain, every single day. I can't even take the OTCs because they don't really help, and because they give me high blood pressure.

Ford.....because of certain medications I am on, the only thing my doctor wants me to take for pain is Tylenol Extra Strength......but I am careful with that too because it makes me sick to my stomach...... I have arthritis, and suffer through the pain.....do take Meloxicam, but only when needed. Those of us that have HBP and Glaucoma have to be so careful of what we take.

By the way, I do know that marijuana is used by patients with certain types of Glaucoma, and am glad I don't have to even think of that...... In fact, don't believe I would ever use it if I was told to.

I have RA also and severe osteoporosis (ten compressed vertebrae in my spine). I am feeling it in my hips too. I would have no way of using marijuana for pain and don't believe it would work for me. I certainly couldn't inhale it, I would have to eat it (ugh). No way I would go that way. I also have liver disease, so Tylenol would not be a good treatment for me and I don't think it would touch my pain anyway.

I don't have HBP as long as I don't take NSAIDS, which I did take ibuprofen for many years. I need to have an eye exam as well. My eyes are blurry every day now, and red, which they have not been in the past. I have a dermatologist appt. this coming week and after that I had better schedule an eye appt.

Glaucoma is very serious, do you take eye drops for that? I wouldn't be surprised if I had the beginnings of that either, since everything seems to be going at once.

Yes, Glaucoma is very serious......but with eye drops nightly, have been able to keep it under control. Go in every 3 mos. for checkup, and my pressure in each eye has been staying at 15.......my doctor is pleased with that. The blurred vision could be the beginning of cataracts.......that is what happened to me when mine were getting to the point of needing to have them removed.

And, I had been under the care of my internist every 3 mos. too, but we now have it to every 6 mos. Have my BP under control too......but do have blood work done for each visit......they check the liver, etc. with that blood.

Yes, get your eyes checked out. Don't know how old you are, but cataracts can form any time you area starting the aging process....... I have know some people to have them when they were in their early 50's. It's not just something for the elderly.

I am 76 and qualify as elderly, for sure. I always had excellent eyesight until my early forties when the farsightedness began. However, I still buy my eyeglasses at the pharmacy, there has never been any other sight loss. Everything I have, except that and the RA, which sprang out of nowhere, I can attribute to low dose prednisone for eight years taken for RA pain, which has destroyed my body in every way. Were it not for RA, I think I would still be a quite healthy person. The meds I took long term, prednisone, ibuprofen have destroyed me inside and out.

I had a friend who developed glaucoma very early in life, a young girl. She has used eye drops her whole life and it has kept the glaucoma at bay. She was always very proactive about it. I am glad to hear that yours in under control as well. Good luck to you.

Formerly Ford1224
We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. Elie Wiesel 1986
Honored Contributor

We just went to a wake and funeral for a boy who was 21 and OD'd. Very sad. His parents and siblings are heartbroken. He has been dealing with addiction for several years. Starting smoking pot in high school.

Honored Contributor

On 3/16/2014 happy2write4u said:

Hi Ford,

I hope all is well with you also. I can't believe how many around this entire area and beyond are od'ing. It seems every time I turn around I hear of any age type of person and it is killing them. From young teens,late teens, 20's, and up. It could be their first time, they could be addicted, it just doesn't matter. They are taking such a very high risk and it just is not worth it. It is a terrible batch. I can only pray they find the culprits who are making it, especially this horrible mixture of a batch and the ones who are distributing it and let them do some jail time.

You can tell people don't touch it, don't go near it,stay away from all drugs, the sad truth, they do what they want, they want to experiment and it usually is the last of the experiment. I guess people think it will never happen to them, sadly it does. They don't think of the effect it has on their family, their friends, they just need to try it or use it.

They will never be able to control the drug problem. It is worldwide really. People will continue to use and wind up dead long before their time. It's really tragic.

I feel if you can get your kids through their teens and early 20 years, you are probably home-free. I am no expert on who does drugs, but my belief is that it mostly starts very young.

Formerly Ford1224
We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. Elie Wiesel 1986