Honored Contributor

Re: Heroin addiction in Ocean County, NJ

On 3/16/2014 nunya said:

Heroin is everywhere. Pittsburgh has 2 dozen deaths last month from fentanyl laced heroin. Kids think snorting it won't hurt them. I think if you suspect your child is using, do something before it's too late.

I also know people who smoke daily and are productive members of the community, you'd be surprised at who smokes.

No, I wouldn't be surprised.......if it's out there, people will use it.

Valued Contributor

On 3/16/2014 nunya said:

Heroin is everywhere. Pittsburgh has 2 dozen deaths last month from fentanyl laced heroin. Kids think snorting it won't hurt them. I think if you suspect your child is using, do something before it's too late.

I also know people who smoke daily and are productive members of the community, you'd be surprised at who smokes.

Yep. So true.

Honored Contributor

On 3/16/2014 Lotus~ said:
On 3/16/2014 terrier3 said:
On 3/16/2014 ShowMe said:

It's prevalent all over our country. There is hardly a day that goes by that it isn't mentioned on our local news. The sad thing about it is that those using have no idea what is in the heroin they are using. Just hope and pray it doesn't go the route of what marijuana has gone.

Nobody ever died from an overdose of weed.

No, they just fry their brain.....I have a friend whose son smokes it illegally.....and have seen a big change in him.....not for the good.

...and I have a friend who is an MD at Harvard...he smokes weed every day and is brilliant.

BTW - I don't smoke cigarettes and I don't smoke week...can't inhale!

I have seen weed hurt more people than not. I have seen kids lives ruined who started out smoking weed and then moved on to bigger and better things.

What's even worse is that I think there are more kids using drugs than not using drugs over the past 5 years. It's very scary to me. After having worked in a high school and now in a hospital....it has really opened my eyes. Drugs do not discriminate.....it crosses over into every race, ethnicity and class.

In addition......the weed out there today is nothing like the pot of our generation (70's).

edited by me for sp

Good post Lotus...... I agree......

Honored Contributor

Like everything, marijuana has a different effect on every individual. I have two brothers, different as night and day from each other. One is a old hippie who has smoked marijuana his whole life. Problem is, it doesn't make him all mellow and laid back, it makes him angry and quick to strike. And he can't complete a sensible sentence. He does not have dementia, but his brain is totally messed up. And he lies like a rug, one cannot believe a word he says. Marijuana . . . or not . . . who knows?

Formerly Ford1224
We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. Elie Wiesel 1986
Honored Contributor

On 3/16/2014 Lotus~ said:

It's prevalent all over our country. There is hardly a day that goes by that it isn't mentioned on our local news. The sad thing about it is that those using have no idea what is in the heroin they are using. Just hope and pray it doesn't go the route of what marijuana has gone.

Nobody ever died from an overdose of weed.

No, they just fry their brain.....I have a friend whose son smokes it illegally.....and have seen a big change in him.....not for the good.

...and I have a friend who is an MD at Harvard...he smokes weed every day and is brilliant.

BTW - I don't smoke cigarettes and I don't smoke week...can't inhale!

I have seen weed hurt more people than not. I have seen kids lives ruined who started out smoking weed and then moved on to bigger and better things.

What's even worse is that I think there are more kids using drugs than not using drugs over the past 5 years. It's very scary to me. After having worked in a high school and now in a hospital....it has really opened my eyes. Drugs do not discriminate.....it crosses over into every race, ethnicity and class.

In addition......the weed out there today is nothing like the pot of our generation (70's).

edited by me for sp

Good post Lotus...... I agree......

Respected Contributor

Maybe now that it is out of the inner city...more will be done to help addicts.

There was a sad story locally about a young man who first got addicted to painkillers after a sports injury...then after the MD cut off his medication, he died from a heroin overdose. It's easier to get than prescription pills. He and his parents begged for him to be put in a rehab program...but mental health services have been severely cut and there was no bed for him...

His parents are leading a campaign to discuss the dangers of prescription medication abuse by young people.

I have heard of this kind of thing happening with people alot....I have never understood it well. For some reason if I even try taking a vicodin (was perscribed after bone surgery for pain) I was so sick! I perferred the unbearable pain to the intense nausea and believe me I was in severe pain...as they removed a bone tumor along side my knee....I tried everything to even take 1/2 a pill...eating sandwich/milk and couldn't tolerate the horrendus nausea. Also it makes me dizzy.

How is it that some humans have such a positive experience and others like myself have the worst reaction. Anyone have a clue why that is?? It stinks for me as I don't know what I'll do if I have to have major surgery on my cervical spine in the yrs to come.

I have watched those Drugs Inc shows...on herion addiction...and the person just loves the feeling...they vomit 1st right after doing it...and are very nauseated but they don't care...the eurphoria is all that matters minutes later.

Honored Contributor

Is it legal there????? Glad he's not my doctor. Does that make him any better? Probably not. Many doctors are addicted to different drugs...... Now, that could be a very interesting discussion on here......

Really don't care if you smoke cigarettes or week.....that's your choice......just not my cup of tea......

He is actually a s-x therapist and researcher. He smokes a joint instead of drinking...did it all through college and grad school - now he's 60 years old...we were both at the same colleges.

Valued Contributor

Everybody doesn't suffer an upset stomach from narcotic use. I'd think it would even be less likely with IV use than swallowing a pill.

Like everything else, people react differently do different substances.

Honored Contributor

Is it legal there????? Glad he's not my doctor. Does that make him any better? Probably not. Many doctors are addicted to different drugs...... Now, that could be a very interesting discussion on here......

Really don't care if you smoke cigarettes or week.....that's your choice......just not my cup of tea......

He is actually a s-x therapist and researcher. He smokes a joint instead of drinking...did it all through college and grad school - now he's 60 years old...we were both at the same colleges.

terrier....you didn't answer my question. I really don't care what kind of doctor he is.....or where he went to college...... As I said, glad he isn't my doctor.....but I don't need a s-x therapist......

Honored Contributor

On 3/16/2014 tsavorite said:

Maybe now that it is out of the inner city...more will be done to help addicts.

There was a sad story locally about a young man who first got addicted to painkillers after a sports injury...then after the MD cut off his medication, he died from a heroin overdose. It's easier to get than prescription pills. He and his parents begged for him to be put in a rehab program...but mental health services have been severely cut and there was no bed for him...

His parents are leading a campaign to discuss the dangers of prescription medication abuse by young people.

I have heard of this kind of thing happening with people alot....I have never understood it well. For some reason if I even try taking a vicodin (was perscribed after bone surgery for pain) I was so sick! I perferred the unbearable pain to the intense nausea and believe me I was in severe pain...as they removed a bone tumor along side my knee....I tried everything to even take 1/2 a pill...eating sandwich/milk and couldn't tolerate the horrendus nausea. Also it makes me dizzy.

How is it that some humans have such a positive experience and others like myself have the worst reaction. Anyone have a clue why that is?? It stinks for me as I don't know what I'll do if I have to have major surgery on my cervical spine in the yrs to come.

I have watched those Drugs Inc shows...on herion addiction...and the person just loves the feeling...they vomit 1st right after doing it...and are very nauseated but they don't care...the eurphoria is all that matters minutes later.

The same thing happens to me. You have two choices, pain or nausea. For me, nausea (and dizziness) is the worst feeling in the world, so I deal with the pain, every single day. I can't even take the OTCs because they don't really help, and because they give me high blood pressure.

Formerly Ford1224
We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. Elie Wiesel 1986