Respected Contributor

Re: Heres a New Twist for UPS

I don't like the handoff to USPS.  

Honored Contributor

This has happened to me too.  I am an adult so I figure I can wait.

i would not want to work for UPS.  I have much compassion for the drivers.  They are under a lot of stress.  They have delivered packages to me when we had two feet of snow and didn't get shoveled out yet.

They have carried heavy and awkward packages to me and even carried them into my home.  

They work in extreme temperatures.  They are attacked by dogs and have no where to park but in the middle of the street where people get angry and verbally abuse them.

They can lose their jobs for a speeding ticket, but get in trouble if the packages are not delivered on time.

I am thankful that do not have their job and thankful that they do their job so well.  I can't even begin to believe that anyone would call UPS and complain about the driver for a package being late a day.  Sadly, we have become a me- me society.

Honored Contributor

I much, much, much prefer my packages be delivered to me via USPS rather than UPS.  I have had UPS packages put on the front porch 2 streets behind me, more than I care to even think about.  I've had them tell me the items were delivered when they haven't been.  Almost everything they deliver looks as if it was run over by the truck.  I never have any of these issues with USPS. 

UPS delivers to my house generally between 5 and 7 pm.  During the holiday season, it has been as late as 9pm. 

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Carmie wrote:

This has happened to me too.  I am an adult so I figure I can wait.

i would not want to work for UPS.  I have much compassion for the drivers.  They are under a lot of stress.  They have delivered packages to me when we had two feet of snow and didn't get shoveled out yet.

They have carried heavy and awkward packages to me and even carried them into my home.  

They work in extreme temperatures.  They are attacked by dogs and have no where to park but in the middle of the street where people get angry and verbally abuse them.

They can lose their jobs for a speeding ticket, but get in trouble if the packages are not delivered on time.

I am thankful that do not have their job and thankful that they do their job so well.  I can't even begin to believe that anyone would call UPS and complain about the driver for a package being late a day.  Sadly, we have become a me- me society.

Carmie: What a sweet and understanding post.  My son is a driver for UPS and I know he will appreciate your positive comments as do I..  One thing I have noticed is that the company usually hire friendly guys who handle  pressure well.  They seem to be constantly putting more pressure on the drivers and my son tells me there are fewer all the time who last.  In the 25 plus years he has been working for the company he has had one accident and that was snow related.but they are only allowed so many accidents during the entire time they work there.  Since my son is now 53 I hope he can soon retire and quit the 10 hour workday; this job is for the younger guy but these days an early retirement is not always possible.

Thanks again, Camie!

Respected Contributor

@chrystaltree wrote:

When a driver is significantly behind scheduled and does not want to work OT,  they lie and say that no one was home to accept delivery.  I work from home most of the week and I sit next to a big bay window with a clear view of the front steps, so I know who comes and goes.  It's like a game now.   When I don't get my expected package by 4:30, I check tracking and 9 out of 10 times, I see that big lie and I get my package the next day.   There is one UPS driver who either likes the OT money or he has integrity.   I have had him deliver as late as 9pm.   One bitterly cold night last Dec, traffic was awful and I got home very late.  He had been to my house,  I wasn't home and he was lugging the box of dishes  (service for 12) back to the truck when he saw me.  He called out to me, he was already at his truck.  I yelled back, that's ok, you can deliver it to me.tomorrow  But he lugged that box all the way back to my house and down the little flight of stairs and he put it right in my dining area for me.  I was so grateful.  They can't accept tips so I gave him a  nice bag of Christmas candy.  So I appreciate the good drivers and accept that I can't do anything about the not so good ones.

HI Chrystaltree: I'm not sure if gifts are acceptable for the drivers during the year but I do know they receive gifts at Christmastime.  My son, who is a driver, gets all kinds of items from his customers and generally money from businesses at that time of year. These sloppy services must be something new because believe me it doesn't take much to get these guys fired.  My son is not typical of the kind of drivers you mention or he wouldn't have lasted 25 plus years!

Respected Contributor

@willdob3 wrote:

Honestly, I just wish UPS would stop trying to keep the useless USPS in business by delivering my packages to them instead of to me.

UPS had a package that was supposed to be delivered to me on Thursday. So they gave it to USPS on Friday and I still don't have the package. The USPS is less than a mile from where I live. 

PLEASE just put us out of our misery and let the USPS go out of business like it should have years ago. 

Thr USPO and UPS now have some kind of a deal.  I don't understand it and certainly don't like it; it must save them both money.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

The packages are delivered according to the route the drivers are assigned.  My son works at least 10 hours a day for UPS so late deliveries are common. The driver will give you a schedule for yout area if you will ask.

@Lipstickdiva wrote:

I much, much, much prefer my packages be delivered to me via USPS rather than UPS.  I have had UPS packages put on the front porch 2 streets behind me, more than I care to even think about.  I've had them tell me the items were delivered when they haven't been.  Almost everything they deliver looks as if it was run over by the truck.  I never have any of these issues with USPS. 

UPS delivers to my house generally between 5 and 7 pm.  During the holiday season, it has been as late as 9pm. 

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@september wrote:

I've gotten strange updates like this before, including one that says something like "apartment number was incorrect".  Well, I don't live in an apartment, and I called  UPS each time I got this message and gave them hell. Yes....it means the driver decided to call it a day and not deliver what was left in the truck. This seems to be a second shift issue.  My morning driver is very good. 

I'm not aware of a second shift; I do know the drivers must work until all those packages on the truck are delivered or answer for it. they wear a machine on which they key in all transactions and without much chance of cheating because management knows just about how long it takes to deliver those packages. They have ways of knowing what the guys are doing, believe me.  My son's average work day is 10 hours and the shift is not split unless he has to leave early.  That said, there may now be different rules at some places since things have changed so much.

It's a shame the service is no longer as dependable as it once was; pushing more and more is not the answer for any company to become more profitable.