Honored Contributor

Re: Here’s what a category 5 and other categories mean on the Saffir-Simpson Scale

@ValuSkr wrote:

So what is Dorian currently rated?

Shes not just a 5. A 5 begins with sustaupined winds of 157.She has sustained winds of 180 with gusts to 200. Unprecedented in this area.
Honored Contributor

Re: Here’s what a category 5 and other categories mean on the Saffir-Simpson Scale

@millieshops wrote:

@NickNackMy understanding of mandatory evacuation is that its main purpose is to avoid deaths -  think Katrina when so many could not or did not take heed of the mandatory evscuation.

I've been in th path of only a few hurricanes although never one as scary as Dorian.  Never evacuated.  Super uncomfortable  but manageable.

Neighbios decided to evacuatate that storm even though no evacuation was suggested.  They ended up having to drive nearly 500 miles north before they could find a place to stay!  Several million people live south of us just on the east coast of Florida -  where would everyone have to go if the majority decided to ignore the advice and flee AND what would that mean for the millions north of us if they were told to get to safety?   500 miles would find them in the Carolinas!   Now who's safe?

PS -  that couple who had driven to mid-Georgia from southern Florida did not ever evacuate again -  and, kind of funny, their son who lives near us and even closer to the shore, spent that hurricane safely in his parents' condo!

So hard to know what to do.

The mandatory evacuations are in low lying areas of palm beach county. Not too many have to evacuate. When the state was staring down at a giant, giant, giant sized cat 5 a couple years ago, the path of that storm was set to come up from the bottom of Florida and move northward through the middle of the entire state. This storm was so wide across that there was no place to go. A day or two in advance, we booked a rental car to pick up at the airport. When we were ready to get the car the office was closed without any warning to all the customers. The storm never hit. We were headed north. Where, we weren’t sure because Orlando was set to be hit too. In fact, every city south of the panhandle was in the track.

Most of the residents in S Florida do follow mandatory evacuation orders. Andrew was a wake up call for Florida that will never be forgotten. 

I have a friend, my fiends young niece,  in Palm Beach that was just told she has to evacuate. She and her friend were going to evacuate to another friends house in vero beach. She wasn’t even going to check to see if that house was u see evac order. My friend told her niece to call the non emergency police number for vero to check on that place before she drives there for nothing.

Trusted Contributor

@Zhills wrote:

You don't have to drive so far to evacuate you home.  Shelters are open.  Friends live in stronger homes.  Some Churches will open their facilities.  Many schools will open their facilities. 

Nobody needs to stay in an unsafe place!  Yes, the Coastal area needs to get out of the area!

Don't go to another Coastal area, head inland!

I have a friend who moved to Florida about three years ago.  She's near the shore on the gulf.  About a year ago, she was supposed to evacuate, but didn't like the school which was set up as a shelter. So,, she went back home.  Luckily, the storm didn't hit (which much force) her location.

She is in a mobile home that the Big Bad Wolf could blown down.

I have another friend who is a life long Floridian, lives in central Florida no where near the coast, and takes the warnings very, very seriously. 

Do the math.
Honored Contributor

@MarieIG wrote:

@Zhills wrote:

You don't have to drive so far to evacuate you home.  Shelters are open.  Friends live in stronger homes.  Some Churches will open their facilities.  Many schools will open their facilities. 

Nobody needs to stay in an unsafe place!  Yes, the Coastal area needs to get out of the area!

Don't go to another Coastal area, head inland!

I have a friend who moved to Florida about three years ago.  She's near the shore on the gulf.  About a year ago, she was supposed to evacuate, but didn't like the school which was set up as a shelter. So,, she went back home.  Luckily, the storm didn't hit (which much force) her location.

She is in a mobile home that the Big Bad Wolf could blown down.

I have another friend who is a life long Floridian, lives in central Florida no where near the coast, and takes the warnings very, very seriously. 

Unfortunately, it will only take one time of having storm winds completely obliterate your friend’s mobile home while she sits in terror, quaking in the bath tub, to change her mind about this. She’ll just love sitting in the dark, with no AC, in 90 F heat with 100% humidity, too. 

Honored Contributor

List of Atlantic Category 5 Hurricanes

Here’s a list of Cat 5 Hurricanes in the last 10yrs.

Boy..this is a good visual...Climate Change is r.e.a.l

BBD8C468-123F-4CB2-A205-56CD3235FFCF.jpeg

FE0F4E23-9591-4ED5-8B4A-C6597CA0F623.jpeg

Respected Contributor

Re: List of Atlantic Category 5 Hurricanes

I don't understand how the list of cat 5 hurricanes in the last 16 years (not 10 years) illustrates the reality of climate change. 

Honored Contributor

@nomless wrote:

I don't understand how the list of cat 5 hurricanes in the last 16 years (not 10 years) illustrates the reality of climate change. 

Oceans are getting warmer...causing hurricanes (in this case)

to be more intense.  Climate change cause all sorts of extreme weather. 

Respected Contributor

Hurricane Dorian weakened to a Category 3 hurricane with sustained winds of 120 mph early Tuesday morning, according the National Hurricane Center’s 2 a.m. advisory.