Honored Contributor

Re: Here's another one for you-WWYD

Maybe I’m not understanding the relationship between all the players, but SMH that when an adult doesn’t get their way their first reaction is to run to a manager and whine about a coworker rather than trying to understand and appreciate protecting someone else’s personal security.  Sounds like one of those “rules don’t apply to me” types.

You did the right thing, @Laura14, and I’m sure your manager will back you up. There is likely another way for the individual to obtain the requested information, they just need to do it the appropriate way rather than putting you in the middle.  There are probably steps through HR or there is a directory somewhere where numbers are published. 

All that said, if the people involved have work provided phones through your company, then it’s probably acceptable to share numbers because the employees don’t own them. 

QVC Customer Care

Honored Contributor

Simple, you do whatever is company policy. The manager will have to back you up as long as you abide by the rules.

Honored Contributor

@Laura14 wrote:

I just had a member call me and ask for another member's phone number. 

I said I'm sorry I can't give out someone's personal information and he got upset.  I said I wouldn't give out yours either to someone who called and asked for it.  He didn't get that either.  

He is now speaking to a manager.  

Would you want a company you do business with to hand out your personal information to anyone who called and asked for it?  Even another customer?

Am I still with it or is that freely done now too? 

I'd have a fit if a company gave someone my phone number.  If they want it, they can ask me the next time they see me. Or Hello Google.  

You did the right thing.  I'd never want my info shared just because someone asked.

Trusted Contributor

Not surprised that the person who wanted to information got mad.  Too bad for him.  Seems this is a common sense thing but it is apparent that not everyone has that.  No, I would not give another person's info to someone else.  If the other person wanted you to have it they would have given it to you themselves.