Esteemed Contributor

Re: Here's another one for you-WWYD

You did the right thing by not giving it out.  I can't imagine a business not practicing this.

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, but Wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.
- Author Unknown
Honored Contributor

@SunValley  He went straight to the manager.  Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

@SunValley wrote:

Your company should have a privacy policy that addresses this situation. My company clearly prohibited this and it was part of onboarding orientation. @Laura14 I would check your company privacy policy and relate it to those who request private information. If there is none, it should be brought to management’s attention. 

Of course there is a privacy policy.  I'm sure the OP knows it very well.

Why it's an issue is beyond me...

Trusted Contributor

@Laura14 wrote:

I just had a member call me and ask for another member's phone number. 

I said I'm sorry I can't give out someone's personal information and he got upset.  I said I wouldn't give out yours either to someone who called and asked for it.  He didn't get that either.  

He is now speaking to a manager.  

Would you want a company you do business with to hand out your personal information to anyone who called and asked for it?  Even another customer?

Am I still with it or is that freely done now too? 

I'd have a fit if a company gave someone my phone number.  If they want it, they can ask me the next time they see me. Or Hello Google.  

——-   

I work for the 2nd largest hospital, in our state, as a Diettian.  

We we would never give out an employees personal information.  

Generally, how would you know, over the phone, who you’re actually talking to? How would you know the person, wants their information, given out to the caller? 

We would either take a message for the employee, or, if urgent, we could try calling the person requested, to connect them, to the caller. 

In in rare cases, where,  a. Senior person , in our department, was comfortable giving out the number,  we would have the caller verify their identity, by providing their phone number, or, some other identifying information.  

It’s for everyone’s protection!

Esteemed Contributor

@Laura14  I agree with you !! I don’t even give out friends information to other friends unless I check with them first. It’s not my information to share!!

Respected Contributor

Absolutely, you did the right thing.  I can't imagine anyone thinking giving out a personal phone number without permission is acceptable.   

-- pro-aging --

Rochester, New York
Honored Contributor

The restaurant my daughter manages will get calls from regulars asking if so and so is working tonight and they have to tell them that they aren't allowed to give that information out.

Who knows if it is a regular or a stalker or crazy ex calling.

Honored Contributor

@CelticCrafter  You know that is one of my thoughts too. 

I know this guy was a true gentleman from another generation and it wasn't even a thought in his head but I was like for all I know you could be a very smart man asking for a guy's number and what you really want to know is if the wife is home and alone or possibly the daughter. 

Totally crazy how paranoid, and I will only speak for myself, we can get but after that little girl showed up alive, you just have to think of these things and possibly outsmart a bad guy.  

Honored Contributor

If you don’t call Human Resources & inform them someone

in your company is calling around asking for personal information

then you’re part of the problem, as well. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Laura14

You did the right thing Laura!!!!  If a company gave my personal information to someone else I would sue that company. I would just say due to the company privacy policies we can't provide that information. 

(And after Facebook was hauled into Congress the majority of companies now have a privacy policy in place)

A company doesn't know for what purpose they want or would use that information ...With all the horrible incidents you see on the news you never know what can happen.....And if your Manager didnt back you up, that Manager should be reported!

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”