Honored Contributor

Re: Here’s a new perspective from health care workers

@KingstonsMom I will pass that along to them.  Thank you!  And I agree.  Anyone who can make me feel really good during an intense pain moment is aces in my book all day every day.  😂 

Esteemed Contributor

@pitdakota wrote:

There is a Facebook post going around that unless you want to be intubated by a gynecologist........stay home.  

Somewhat humorous, but oh so true.  Of course an anesthesiologist would have no trouble intubating someone, but the message is clear.  If hospitals become overwhelmed and doctors start to get sick, goodness knows who will end up taking care of the COVID-19 patients. 

And routine, necessary hospital admissions.

@pitdakota,  do you know if any of the medical facilities have set up counseling programs for staff?

I have zero doubt that when this is over, probably even before then, that PTSD is going to be rampant among the medical community from top to bottom.

The eyes through which you see others may be the same as how they see you.
Honored Contributor

@Laura14 wrote:

@KingstonsMom I will pass that along to them.  Thank you!  And I agree.  Anyone who can make me feel really good during an intense pain moment is aces in my book all day every day.  😂 

@Laura14 

All day, every day and twice on Sunday, LOL!

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Honored Contributor

@KingstonsMom 🤣😂🤣😂🤣😂👍🏻

Respected Contributor

@Marp wrote:

@pitdakota wrote:

There is a Facebook post going around that unless you want to be intubated by a gynecologist........stay home.  

Somewhat humorous, but oh so true.  Of course an anesthesiologist would have no trouble intubating someone, but the message is clear.  If hospitals become overwhelmed and doctors start to get sick, goodness knows who will end up taking care of the COVID-19 patients. 

And routine, necessary hospital admissions.

@pitdakota,  do you know if any of the medical facilities have set up counseling programs for staff?

I have zero doubt that when this is over, probably even before then, that PTSD is going to be rampant among the medical community from top to bottom.

@Marp, In the cases of which I have knowledge, not that I am aware of at the current time.  Doesn't mean there isn't someone out there doing that, which would be wonderful.

I don't want to say much here but the focus right now is administration trying to convince their staff (doctors, nurses, respiratory therapists, etc) that reusing masks over and over along with wiping down face shields is a ok.  Or wearing a fabric masks is ok.  They know it isn't, but they go to work and work under those protocols to take care of the patients anyway. 

Totally agree, our first responsders and health care professionals will certainly need counseling after we get through this.  

* Freedom has a taste the protected will never know *
Super Contributor

[ Edited ]

@proudlyfromNJ wrote:

@Laura14 wrote:

I have a family member who is an anesthesiologist.  He is stressed beyond belief because he has had his workload cut because of the focus on treating the pandemic victims which is usually not surgical in nature.  It's possible he will have his salary cut.

It's also possible he will be asked to help treat these patients (his background is respiratory therapy) and he's scared to death of possibly bringing the virus home to his wife and kids.  My sister told him they are all young and god forbid they should recover just fine.  Take the stress off.  

His birthday was this week too and he couldn't even enjoy it.  Absolutely true heroes in impossible situations.  ❤️

@Laura14  I can see where he would be nervous. This is not always fatal. I know four people in my town who have it and they are just staying home. They don’t have it bad enough to be hospitalized.

Every single person on the front lines,,,cannot imagine what it is like.   Unless we are in this position, can’t walk a mile in their shoes.  All medical personnel are needed.  What they all do is indeed a calling.  And they all have people in their lives whom they love.  Anyone who has reservations about aiding on the front lines, there will be another right behind who will do so.  Without a thought.   That is why anyone on the front lines, reglardless of task, job asked to do...are genuine heroes, IMO.

Honored Contributor

I swear to fulfill, to the best of my ability and judgment, this covenant:

I will respect the hard-won scientific gains of those physicians in whose steps I walk, and gladly share such knowledge as is mine with those who are to follow.

I will apply, for the benefit of the sick, all measures [that] are required, avoiding those twin traps of overtreatment and therapeutic nihilism.

I will remember that there is art to medicine as well as science, and that warmth, sympathy, and understanding may outweigh the surgeon's knife or the chemist's drug.

I will not be ashamed to say "I know not," nor will I fail to call in my colleagues when the skills of another are needed for a patient's recovery.

I will respect the privacy of my patients, for their problems are not disclosed to me that the world may know. Most especially must I tread with care in matters of life and death. If it is given me to save a life, all thanks. But it may also be within my power to take a life; this awesome responsibility must be faced with great humbleness and awareness of my own frailty. Above all, I must not play at God.

I will remember that I do not treat a fever chart, a cancerous growth, but a sick human being, whose illness may affect the person's family and economic stability. My responsibility includes these related problems, if I am to care adequately for the sick.

I will prevent disease whenever I can, for prevention is preferable to cure.

I will protect the environment which sustains us, in the knowledge that the continuing health of ourselves and our societies is dependent on a healthy planet.

I will remember that I remain a member of society, with special obligations to all my fellow human beings, those sound of mind and body as well as the infirm.

If I do not violate this oath, may I enjoy life and art, respected while I live and remembered with affection thereafter. May I always act so as to preserve the finest traditions of my calling and may I long experience the joy of healing those who seek my help.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

My cousin in Southern California retired two years ago as a gastroenterologist.  He has come out of retirement to work in the ER.  He said he hasn't inserted a breathing tube since he was a resident but he will learn again.  

I also have a very good friend that is a retired RN and she also has come out of retirement to help.  I am very proud and impressed by both of them.  

Super Contributor

@DiAnne wrote:

My cousin in Southern California retired two years ago as a gastroenterologist.  He has come out of retirement to work in the ER.  He said he hasn't inserted a breathing tube since he was a resident but he will learn again.  

I also have a very good friend that is a retired RN and she also has come out of retirement to help.  I am very proud and impressed by both of them.  

👏👏👏👏🙏🙏🙏🙏

The best in humanity, the need to serve, help others.  The talents that could easily play it safe yet step outside of themselves in time of need...people who do such,  part of the reason this horrible time In all our lives is a bit more bearable.  The best in others shines through.  Yes, you must be so proud❤️

Honored Contributor

@pitdakota   @Marp 

I am working on volunteer coordination with the EOC in my state - from home.  It is awesome the number of retired, or otherwise physicians, nurses, social workers, dentists, 4th year medical students, translators, NAs,  PAs,  teachers, ministers, on and on who have stepped up.

Several psychiatrists, psychologists, ministers, and social workers are doing individual phone counseling, as well as Skype sessions for just what you mentioned, as well as for Domestic Abuse, etc.

Just amazing!

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras