Honored Contributor

Wow! What audacity. 

Respected Contributor

I think technically (legally?) she is correct.  lf you receive a package that you did not order, you can either return it to the sender or keep it.  The recipient cannot be charged for the item.

At this point, USPS will handle it although I'm not sure what they can do if my understanding of "unsolicited mail" is correct.  Local PD?  Again, what is the current law governing "unsolicited mail"?

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

The bad thing is the neighbor now knows your address...it's on the package label. You never know about some people and what they will do in retaliation...I hope things work out well.

Trusted Contributor

Unbelievable!  Luckily, most of us don't encounter these disgusting people.

I shouldn't be surprised about hearing the "new lows" of some idiots anymore.  

I hope your neighbor is able to get her packages back.  Good luck to her!

Honored Contributor

Those packages are addressed to the recipient. These were not. That is a huge difference

Honored Contributor

@Cats3000 wrote:

I think technically (legally?) she is correct.  lf you receive a package that you did not order, you can either return it to the sender or keep it.  The recipient cannot be charged for the item.

At this point, USPS will handle it although I'm not sure what they can do if my understanding of "unsolicited mail" is correct.  Local PD?  Again, what is the current law governing "unsolicited mail"?

@Cats3000- This is not "unsolicited mail".  If the packages were not addressed to her personally (her name; her address), they are not her property and she cannot legally keep them, nor even open them.

It is a Federal offense to open any mail not addressed to you, regardless of whether it was incorrectly delivered.  She can certainly contact the carrier to collect the packages, but she cannot keep them.  That is theft.  Period.

Respected Contributor

@Cats3000 wrote:

i believe (could be wrong) that you are entitled to keep the package, IF it's addressed to you, and you did not order it. 

Not just if it get delivered to you by mistake. sheesh, takes all kinds. 

Honored Contributor

Re: Here's A New One

[ Edited ]

How did the woman find out which house the packages were delivered? Sounds strange.

"One woman reported that several of her packages had been delivered to another house in the area.  She somehow discovered where they were and went over to get them.  Knocked on the door and explained to the woman who she was and what she wanted.  The woman replied, "they were delivered to me so I'm entitled to keep them" and slammed the door in her face."

Honored Contributor

Re: Here's A New One

[ Edited ]

An honest person would have returned those packages immediately

Honored Contributor

@Cats3000 wrote:

@Cats3000.  I believe that's only if the package is addressed to you.  If it's addressed to someone else, you're obligated to return it to the USPS for delivery.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment