Respected Contributor

Re: Here is a terrific feel good story . . . :)

What a touching story!  Thanks for sharing.

* Freedom has a taste the protected will never know *
Honored Contributor

Thank you so much for posting this story!  Good luck to him and his dog in his "custom-made Lowe's employee vest"  -- I teared up.

Esteemed Contributor

Awww! Great story @momtochloe, thanks for sharing!!

Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.
JFK
Honored Contributor

This is a great story, and I'm glad to see people with barriers to employment find work, as that is a field I spent almost two decades in.

But.....

Our Lowes is a joke, for the most part. Employees who know nothing, run from you if you even look like you have a question, and don't know anymore about what they are selling than what is listed on the product packaging. Not my favorite place at all.

And, I'll just venture that perhaps part of their decision in hiring this particular person could very well have been the calculated gain from the great publicity they would get when it hit the media and social media.  Sorry to be so callous about it, but I have to believe regardless of how truly great this is for people with disabilities, that had to come to someone's mind in the recruiting/interviewing/hiring process. 

Honored Contributor

love it! great story!

thank youSmiley Happy

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Mominohio wrote:

This is a great story, and I'm glad to see people with barriers to employment find work, as that is a field I spent almost two decades in.

But.....

Our Lowes is a joke, for the most part. Employees who know nothing, run from you if you even look like you have a question, and don't know anymore about what they are selling than what is listed on the product packaging. Not my favorite place at all.

And, I'll just venture that perhaps part of their decision in hiring this particular person could very well have been the calculated gain from the great publicity they would get when it hit the media and social media.  Sorry to be so callous about it, but I have to believe regardless of how truly great this is for people with disabilities, that had to come to someone's mind in the recruiting/interviewing/hiring process. 

@Mominohio you may be absolutely correct in your assumption about why the store manager chose to do this. As a person who has a disabled young adult in my life, this story made me happy. I choose to believe that this was done for the right reasons; if that makes me naive, so be it.

@momtochloe thank you for this thread. I hope that others follow this store's example.

~~~"Patience is the power to do nothing when doing something won't do anything but make everything worse"~~~
Honored Contributor

@momtochloe wrote:

Lowes hires man and his service dog when no one else would:

http://www.cnn.com/2016/06/09/health/lowes-hires-man-service-dog-trnd/index.html

I wish there was one close to me, I wouldn't shop anywhere else!  Smiley Happy

Great story...kudos to Lowes!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

**Careful... I have caps lock and I am not afraid to use it.**
Honored Contributor

@Tique wrote:

@Mominohio wrote:

But.....

@Mominohio you may be absolutely correct in your assumption about why the store manager chose to do this. As a person who has a disabled young adult in my life, this story made me happy. I choose to believe that this was done for the right reasons; if that makes me naive, so be it.

@momtochloe thank you for this thread. I hope that others follow this store's example.

@Tique thank you for this and I too hope that others follow suit.

I am a huge supporter of Service Dog Project (SDP) who was responsible for this year's Service Dog of the Year (George).  SDP provides Great Danes for those that have mobility issues and their success rate is incredible and so inspiring.  I am always on the look out for when our four legged friends can assist us two legged ones!  Heart

More about George and his person Bella:

http://www.today.com/health/amazing-service-dog-helps-11-year-old-girl-rare-disorder-t55101

Honored Contributor

Thank you for posting this fantastic story @momtochloe

Honored Contributor

In my area Lowe's, Home Depot and Walmart have all hired people with disabilities to work as "greeters".  No dogs involved though.  Walmart had a young woman with obvious developmental disabilities who loved hats.  Everyday she wore a different hat; she was cute.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment