Esteemed Contributor

Re: Here We Go, Storm Has Started Here.

@gizmogal wrote:

Started a bit after the noon hour here in Brooklyn, NY. After about an hour and a half now, it's still steady, but gently falling, not any whiteout or heavy. It's sticking and accumulating, but not interrupting traffic in any way. Streets are wet, but not slick. Temps are just under freezing, around 30. 

Expectations here in NYC are for about 2" before changing to rain later. I hope it is accurate. Even though my neighbor shovels for us both (I mow both our lawns as a labor trade off) I find snow is not appealing, very inconvenient. 

To all getting hit hard by weather this weekend, I wish you comfort and safety. 

@gizmogal- hi Brooklyn, from Long Island! We've got the same weather here. It seems to be sticking to everything but it's all supposed to turn to rain later as the temperature rises. It's pretty now, and I'm enjoying looking out the window from my warm safe house. Enjoy your winter Saturday!

"That's a great first pancake."
Lady Gaga, to Tony Bennett
Honored Contributor

@dancingwoman wrote:

@Kachina624  You got more snow that we did in Durango...we got maybe 3 inches at our house...it's very cold though...DW

@dancingwoman.  For once Rio Rancho, where I live, was on the Southern edge of the "mountain" part of the storm.  Albuquerque, just a few miles down the street, just got an inch or two.  It was 20° here this morning but is warming up.  I'm going out to take my dogs for a run with my mobility scooter.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Trusted Contributor

@Kachina624  Have fun...we just got visitors from Albuquerque.  The two little boys ran around in the snow....and are now off to go ice fishing with DH  and their grandpa....DW

Super Contributor

@SeaMaiden wrote:

Question for you who live in this area where you get storms all the time.... and it is so cold

Do you just accept it and are ok with it?( storms and power outages... damage....)

Do you all have in home generators to keep your home running with long power outages?

I  live where bad storms are rare. I do have a in home generator installed last fall because I hate having no lights or anything. We have yet to use it. 

No...I don't deal with it well and getting even harder to deal with. No generator for me but the area where I live doesn't lose power as often as some other parts of town. I also live very close to a major street so I am guessing if power went out here, we would get it back faster due to the major street being nearby?

Snow is non-stop here today...plus the lake effect will be kicking in on top of this storm meaning pure misery for the next day or so. Don't think I will be seeing the grass or the sun anytime soon.

I am not superstitious, but I am a little stitious.
Trusted Contributor

Just started snowing here and I'm in Western Mass.   Predicting 3-6 " so not too bad.   Also, at the moment it is not windy.  Be safe everyone

Esteemed Contributor

It's been 43 and cloudy in coastal VA, windy and sprinkling rain now. It looks and smells like snow. 
  The dogs had two long walks today so others will be short. They are keeping very quiet  because they know it's colder and wet!

I'm having hot soup tonight and we are cuddling by the Duraflame with it's fake logs. I have gas logs but this is cheaper and has the same look. 
   To all those with snow, please stay in and safe until it's better. Just a little in my area cause havoc!

Trusted Contributor

we wound up with about 3 inches then we got sleet... this is the kinda snow i like.. lol... the roads are clear and most of its gone... its just in the grass.......

Honored Contributor

I am on the southern end of WV near the VA border.  Our local forecast was for strong winds, rain, below freezing temps and ice.  The winds howled for the last 2 days, temperatures dropped, we received a nice amount of rain, but thankfully no ice.   Snow flurries are in the air right now, but they are so light, I couldn’t pack a thimble with all the flurries I’ve seen today.   If it could stay like this for another 3 months, I would be very happy.   

@SeaMaiden,

I have always been perfectly content to be in my home without power.   The longest we have ever been without power was 5 days back in 1983, with 2+ ft of snow on the ground.  

I always filled the tub with water to flush the toilet, had water in jugs to drink and cook with, plus 5 gallon buckets of water in the basement for any extra needs.  We had a wood and coal stove in the basement, so the house was always warm.   I cooked on the stove, baked potatoes in the hot ashes, and heated water on the stove to bathe my girls; toddler and infant.  

At that time we had kerosene lamps and flashlights, and a battery operated radio for music and weather updates.   During the day I entertained my toddler with coloring and games, and made numerous trips to the basement checking the fire, the food, or the water that was heating.   

The worst power outage was during the derecho of 2010, which was in early June, and it was unusually sultry hot here in WV at that time.   We were miserable 24/7 for 3 full days; I would much rather have no power in the winter, than in the summer.   That experience is exactly why we have a generator now!    

Honored Contributor

@RedTop   YOU are a trooper!  I am a whinny baby who just curls up into a ball under the covers with out my  creature comforts.... I am not proud of it....just the way I react to changes in my schedule. 😶