Honored Contributor

In my area we are missing paper towels, gallons of spring water, whole chickens and canned veggies.

I had to go to two stores looking for canned kidney beans.  I found just two large cans. The dried beans of all varieties were gone too.

Honored Contributor

@Just Bling wrote:

@Jordan2 

I read last week that the only one's creating the shortage of paper products are the people buying it.

.....that's something to think about.

@Just Bling 

@Jordan2 

i totally believe this!

our local sams club has limits on toilet paper and paper towels, but there were plenty to be had. kleenex and napkins were NOT on a limit of how many you could purchase.

our local grocery stores have enough paper products without needing to limit purchases.

it would be nice if people stopped panicking.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Respected Contributor

@sunshine45 

I don't think the panic will stop.

So tonight they are showing a generator and good luck with that, maybe one light, ok two lights, not much folks and please if you do buy, do not put this anywhere a window or door for safety purposes...this is a serious warning.

Trusted Contributor

@Icegoddess wrote:

The news reported that Costco was once again limiting the number of items in certain categories one can buy.  Of course, paper products and cleaning supplies were the examples.  I think that just sent people running to the store to get their quota, and then they probably go back the next day and do it again.

If Costco and other large retailers don't put limits on these items some people will buy the entire pallet, or two, or three.  They're not driving demand, they're limiting sales so everyone can get what they need for their personal use, and no more.

Honored Contributor

The news is guilty of causing a lot of this!  People hear this and then they start getting nervous and start stockpiling.  I hope it does not get bad like it did at the start of this whole thing.  It was really a mess -- you could hardly find t.p. and many other necessary things.  DH told me that people were finding that diapers were in short supply as well.  

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Esteemed Contributor

@justashopper wrote:

It's more than just panic buying.  There are container ships waiting at our ports to  unload.  The stories I have heard said it's dock worker shortage and trucks/trucker drivers shortage. 

@justashopper paper products are made in the USA.  Most of our food as well.  The shortages last year were due to workers becoming sick, and manufacturers and packagers had to change their methods for safety reasons.  If you recall, entire production plants had to shut down because of illness.

Honored Contributor

@aroc3435 wrote:

@Jordan2   I am pretty much fully stocked on every conceivable item in the food category and related items.

As far as any toilet tissue scarcity repeat I vowed never to relive that nerve wracking time for me.  

Truly, I was extremely tense about it.  Apparently a steady supply of Scott's toilet paper for me is having some sense of control and stability in my life.  So said a psychologist on a news program when the lack of TP first occurred.

As soon as it was again available, I gradually stocked up.  Scarlet O'Hara vowed never to be hungry again.  For me it is never to be without my Scott's!  

I will gladly share it with others in my neighborhood if they are in need.

aroc3435

Washington, DC

@aroc3435 - I hear ya.  While I am close to being a minimalist, I have 84 rolls of Charmin.  I live alone, LOL..  I figure that toilet paper is the only thing where I can't use a substitute.  

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?
Honored Contributor

@Carmie the cost for chicken wings has gone through the roof! My sister paid $7.99 a pound for them ( she really wanted wings). 

Honored Contributor

Re: Here We Go Again

[ Edited ]

Each week my trucker daughter drives from east coast to west coast and back hauling different products consumers need on a daily basis.   She drives 10 hours a day, and based on the number of trucks she sees on the road, she's still not buying into the shortage of truckers excuse.   

My daughter has a preference for certain truck stops, and after nearly 10 years of driving west coast runs, she knows where she wants to stop for the day, and the latest she can get there and still find a parking space for the night.   Some of those truck stops have 150-200 parking spaces and latecomers still have to park on the side of the road, or on the ramp.   

Trucking companies have contracts with vendors for the freight products they haul.   Whenever TV cameras are showing pictures of the shipping containers at these ports, I usually see a Maersk truck rolling thru.  That is the large Danish company that owns/controls a large number of the cargo vessels, so my thoughts are that if they're controlling what comes into the port, they are also controlling how the products go out.   So the XYZ Trucking Company can be close by with a fleet of 40 semi's that run coast to coast and could help move that freight, but Maersk controls the contracts to the point the companies who can really move the products aren't allowed in.   

I am in WV, and locally our stores have done very well keeping stores stocked.   Our shortages seem to occur at the beginning of the month and at the middle of the month when SS and other checks are sent out, and a surge of people hitting stores for their monthly run.   

Respected Contributor

@RedTop, Thanks to your daughter.