Respected Contributor

Re: Here We Go Again - Hurricane Prep.

@Eileen in Virginia wrote:

@Financialgrl wrote:

I'm about 50 miles south of DC and we probably won't get hurricane winds, etc but it's been raining on and off since last night.  About two hours ago it began again and this time no signs of letting up.  Streets look like little streams!  For those ending up in its path, stay safe!

We live across the Potomac from DC and have been getting steady rain since Friday night. I doubt we’ll get the high winds, but it doesn’t take much for trees to uproot because the ground’s so saturated. DH and I went to the farmers market in Arlington this morning and only about half the farmers were there. Luckily, my 2 favorites were there. The gurgling little steam that runs beside the jogging path near our street looked like a white water river this morning. Two large trees had keeled over into the stream. The storm drains have started backing up, so drivers have to be careful about hydroplaning. Most of the rain’s coming from the Northwest with the hurricane due to hit later this week. Our kitchen’s all electric, so I’ll be sure to get water and plenty of foods that don’t need to be cooked. As another poster put it, better to be over-prepared than to run short. 

I worked in Arlington in Crystal City for 26 years so I know "across the Potomac River from DC" pretty well!  Once I retired I left nearer burbs bc of the traffic and moved to a very rural part of Culpeper County.  Two years ago moved to where I currently live to get back to nearer medical and to rediscover wifi/cell reception again!!. 

I was at the farmers market yesterday and it looked pretty sparse and just as I pulled up, it started raining and many were pulling up their tarps/stakes and loading trucks to head out - I'm guessing with the rains on and off they didn't do much business but I was able to get tomatoes and a cantaloupe. 

I have an all gas house and so far living here last two years we only lost power for about 12 hours total but that was bc we had such horrific winds.  I'd never seen or heard winds that wild.  I don't really have a go bag ready but I have the type supplies needed all in the same place to grab if I have to go.  I'm not sure but I think that as long as the gas lines are still flowing I should be able to cook.  In the country I had a portable generator/transfer switch and if we lost power it took about 5 minutes to get the whole house up and running.  I'm thinking if it gets to the point this house starts losing power too often, I'd just get a whole house generator bc my days of hauling a heavy generator out the garage and hooking it up are long over! 

Respected Contributor

@esmerelda wrote:

@SeaMaiden You get used to it I think. Or move. 

@esmerelda

I have family members that I would say they are used to it in that they can be out the door within an hour. It was amazing to see. They were used to it in that they were prepared as they could be and did not stress out. On the other hand , I thought I was going to need medication. Of course you are not ready for seeing the destruction when it is over.

doxie

Respected Contributor

@KingstonsMom

You stay safe my friend.

doxie

Honored Contributor

I saw a show on the Weather Channel today showing what essentials to take with you or have in hand if you are either stranded or evacuated....very interesting....I would have never thought to keep a bottle of bleach and a plastic jar of peanut butter with me.
Honored Contributor

I know officials get lambasted if they go into emergency preparedness mode and then are spared the worst of a storm...but best to prepare for the worst instead of being caught unprepared. Prayers to all who may be in the path of any of the several storms that seem to be heating up.... listen to your local officials and heed their warnings if issued. It could save your life. 

Honored Contributor

Our friends said they'd never move to Florida because of the hurricanes and instead bought in South Carolina near Hilton Head. However, it seems they have evacuated every year since they have been there - sometimes more than once in a season, and we have never had one in 8 years we've lived in Florida til IRMA last year. As a matter of fact last year was the first direct hit by a hurricane in our area in 57 years. And I certainly hope it's another 57 til we get one again.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

It is important to do everything you are told.  I agree, better to be over prepared and frustrated if over prepared and no storm, than to be under prepared and regretful and sorry if storm hits bad.  

i live in California and we always have threat of earthquakes.  There is no way to prepare for those!  We also get fires. I cant tell you the people who have lost their life, or became injured and burned because they refused to move.

storms and hurricanes, tornados would scare me.  You all are brave and tough to weather those hurricanes.

here's to you all being safe!  God Bless!  Be safe!

Respected Contributor

Back in 1996 we in central NC were hit hard by hurricane Fran.   Unfortunately, we were told the worst of the storm would stay well to the east of us.  At 11:00 pm we watched the news and they kept repeating that we would get some rain and wind, but nothing really hazardous.   At 2:00 am we were woken by crashing trees!  We were without power for a week, some areas were longer.  It was horrible!   Now, this hurricane is supposed to follow the same track.  We will be prepared for the worst.  Pray for us, please!  

Honored Contributor

This morning Animal Control announced free adoptions, to try to get the animals in a safer environment.

They're also begging for fosters.

Poor babies, I can't imagine being scared and alone in a cage during something like this.

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

We've already discussed our hurricane prep plans. They are very simple. One sentance -Put up the hurricane shutters & get the heck outta here!