Honored Contributor
Herb Stempel, who told how the TV quiz show Twenty One was cheating and started the investigation of quiz shows in the 1950s, died in April at age 93. He was given the questions and answers to the show in advance, as were other contestants, and was told to lose to Charles Van Doren after the producers decided to replace him with a new winner.

He was played by actor John Turturro in the Robert Redford-directed film Quiz Show which I highly recommend. Some of us baby boomers remember the quiz show scandal, although I don't but do remember my parents talking about it. I was a little girl when it occurred.
Esteemed Contributor

@Pearlee wrote:
Herb Stempel, who told how the TV quiz show Twenty One was cheating and started the investigation of quiz shows in the 1950s, died in April at age 93. He was given the questions and answers to the show in advance, as were other contestants, and was told to lose to Charles Van Doren after the producers decided to replace him with a new winner.

He was played by actor John Turturro in the Robert Redford-directed film Quiz Show which I highly recommend. Some of us baby boomers remember the quiz show scandal, although I don't but do remember my parents talking about it. I was a little girl when it occurred.

@Pearlee 93, what a good (hopefully) long life! And such a great movie!  Charles Van Doren had the movie star looks, so they decided to go that route instead. Ratings probably -- or however they measured a shows popularity back then. I think I'll watch Quiz Show again while home! 

I jsut googled Charles Van Doren- he passed away about a year ago. Also 93! 

Honored Contributor
@Ibby114. I just love that film and it seemed to be quite accurate. I most of all loved in it the great actor whose name slips my mind now -he played Prof Van Doren the poet. He was terrific. I thought Fiennes whom I usually also think is terrific, was miscast. Looks-wise he was perfect but he never quite mastered an American accent and I found that distracting. Rob Morrow's Boston accent was quite weak and distracting too, like he was trying too hard. Whereas Turturro was perfectly cast and his lookalike "son" was also. Hank Azaria was really good and I love his line at the end: "We aren't curing cancer here."
A wonderful period piece from the 1950s that I too can watch over and over and not tire of it.
Esteemed Contributor

I remember watching that show -- and seeing Charles Van Doren win. Americans were very naive in those days and tv was new and exciting ------ we believed everything!!!!

Esteemed Contributor

@kivah wrote:

I remember watching that show -- and seeing Charles Van Doren win. Americans were very naive in those days and tv was new and exciting ------ we believed everything!!!!

@kivah  If you want to see a movie about a more 'contemporary' game scandal, watch McMillions on HBO. Great miniseries!