Respected Contributor

Henrietta has made herself at home

Anyone who lives in western Washington knows we've been invaded by wild cotton-tail rabbits. 

We've noticed one in particular hanging out in our front and back yards, and my sister has named her Henrietta. Well, it looks like she's here to stay (and we don't mind). A few minutes ago I spotted her all stretched out on some soft dirt, the way cats and dogs do when they lay down. She didn't seem to be bothered by our watching her; just taking life easy. She seems to especially like our grass. I think the next time I go shopping, I might pick up a few little treats for her.

If I could only entice her to eat the weeds!

Trusted Contributor

Re: Henrietta has made herself at home

You must love animals dear, good for you, treat Miss Henrietta to some foods but do be carefull as rabitts (from the woods) do carry deseases.

The Supreme Happiness Of Life Consists In The Conviction That One Is Loved.
I come from the beautiful and sunny Athens Greece
Respected Contributor

My nephew had a white rabbit when he last moved in with me. The rabbit was an outdoor-only one. He made friends with the ferals I feed. It was fun watching them chase each other when the rabbit was out of his (large) cage.

Honored Contributor

I guess you don't mind when Henrietta eats your garden plants.

I'm hoping our rabbit and deer populations will be reduced by the coyotes that have moved into the area.  Or - they may have been here all along but have only now come out of hiding due to reduced human activity.

Respected Contributor

@ValuSkr wrote:

I guess you don't mind when Henrietta eats your garden plants.

No I don't. I'm stuck in self-quantine at home plus I'm dealing with hepatitis so I enjoy watching Henrietta frolic in my yard. I've never used toxic chemicals so maybe everything tastes better.

Esteemed Contributor

@GoneButNotForgotten  Sorry you are dealing with hepatitis.  Jeez, I hope you enjoy the little guest you have outside.  Seems to me bunnies are fairly harmless.  It's good for the soul , enjoy it Smiley Happy   BTW, my favorite late aunt was named Henrietta Smiley Happy

Respected Contributor

@GoneButNotForgotten 

YAAAAAAAY Henrietta !!!!

- you found THE RIGHT human's house - this ONE LOVES YOU and is going to keep an eye out for your happiness and safety.

YAY YOU - live your best life lil Bun!

I love humane humans and you made my day GBNF!  Thank you!!!!!

Honored Contributor

Bunnies are awesome!  Nobody makes me smile like a bunny.  Smiley Happy

On the same vein, I have squirrels here who live under my deck.  If I don't get the peanuts and stuff out there soon enough one of them will make him/herself known to me as a reminder.    They are so cute I can hardly stand it.

Yes, I love love love animals.  I watch the birdies every day, too, and just adore them.   They must be nesting lately because I'm not seeing the usual influx at my food and water station on the back deck.  

So far, this spring, I've only seen one of the squirrels  -  at least one at a time anyway, so I'm not sure.   The most I've seen at one time was last year when I saw 5 of them running around on the deck playing.  It was awesome!

Of course, just as with the birds, the dog has been taught that we don't hurt them or scare them.  We take care of them and keep them safe.  If he sees a hawk he will tell him/her to leave.  They are so beautiful and I love taking their pics, but I don't want them there for obvious reasons.  Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

Rabbits are just so darn cute, get some feed, a place for her to stay, and enjoy your new friend.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Honored Contributor

Be careful, they like to dig divets in the lawn.  They have the babies in them and then cover them up with the dead grass they dug out.  

We had one last year, she had 4 all nestled in and protected.  I would check the hole every day to make sure they were okay and not eaten by another animal.  After about 3 or 4 days, she started to move 1 a night until they were all moved someplace else.