Honored Contributor

Re: Helping to End the Plastic Waste Crisis

@Drythe wrote:

@Laura14

To your point ‘some of us’ , many of us are not recycling, as a good look at the shoals of plastic waste rolling around in our oceans will show.

That is unfortunately how it happens.  Rules become more restrictive because of those who are causing issues, not for those who are already doing the responsible things, as I’m sure you are.

For instance, it we all drove the speed limit we wouldn’t need radar.

YIKES! ~ did I just say we need radar?  groan -🤭

@Drythe

Not just oceans but rivers too...Here in the summers "tubers" trash the rivers and area around it with garbage and all kinds of trash....

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

Lots of the waste is because of the packaging that has to be produced to thwart shoplifters.  And I won't say what I think about that. . . 

Trusted Contributor

@Drythe wrote:

@Laura14

To your point ‘some of us’ , many of us are not recycling, as a good look at the shoals of plastic waste rolling around in our oceans will show.

That is unfortunately how it happens.  Rules become more restrictive because of those who are causing issues, not for those who are already doing the responsible things, as I’m sure you are.

For instance, it we all drove the speed limit we wouldn’t need radar.

YIKES! ~ did I just say we need radar?  groan -🤭

90% of the plastic in our oceans comes from China and Africa.  We're doing pretty well recycling, but I toss anything that will use a lot of water or will damage our septic tank.

Read it! New England Journal of Medicine—May 21, 2020
Universal Masking in Hospitals in the Covid-19 Era

“We know that wearing a mask outside health care facilities offers little, if any, protection from infection.
Honored Contributor

depending on what sources you investigate, china is NOT the biggest creator of waste. for example......

The top producers in the developed world were said to be:

• New Zealand
  • Ireland
  • Norway
  • Switzerland
  • United States

The top producers of waste are said to be small and island nations including:

• Kuwait
  • Antigua and Barbuda
  • St. Kitts and Nevis
  • Guyana
  • Sri Lanka

https://waste-management-world.com/a/interactive-map-worlds-most-wasteful-countries

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

I think recycling is a very good idea, and I wouldn’t have a problem sorting my trash and setting out my recyclables if the county I live in had a full recycling program.  

We only have the ability to recycle appliances and tires locally.  

To recycle our cardboard and aluminum cans, my teacher daughter takes them to the recycle bin at her school, which is in another county.   

To be successful, recycling efforts need to be the same everywhere.   

Frequent Contributor

I think we should go back to paper bags (recycle them) and glass glasses that you can't take out of a restaurant (unless you want to buy it) Smiley Happy and no straws unless they are waxed like in the "old days. All of this is recyclable. All the reuseable bags people were hyping have been a bust on the most part because people have not been caring for them and they have been getting sick from all the bacteria they are harboring in the bags (yuck) so you give up plastic for bacterial illness (really???).  So there you have it...

Regular Contributor

@sunshine45 wrote:

depending on what sources you investigate, china is NOT the biggest creator of waste. for example......

The top producers in the developed world were said to be:

• New Zealand
  • Ireland
  • Norway
  • Switzerland
  • United States

The top producers of waste are said to be small and island nations including:

• Kuwait
  • Antigua and Barbuda
  • St. Kitts and Nevis
  • Guyana
  • Sri Lanka

https://waste-management-world.com/a/interactive-map-worlds-most-wasteful-countries

Thanks @sunshine45!