Honored Contributor

Helping to End the Plastic Waste Crisis

Cosmetics brand Procter & Gamble (P&G) have vowed to ‘end the plastic waste crisis' by launching a range of small liquid-free pads.  

The company has created piece of material that dissolves in the user's hand when water is added and turns into shampoo or face wash.

According to the Cincinnati Business Courier, the environmentally friendly range will span from personal care to products for the home.

P&G, which owns well known household brands such as Ariel, Pantene and Olay, is expected to launch officially towards the end of the year.

They have formed an alliance with other companies to fight plastic waste, pledging to spend $1.5 billion (£1.5 billion) over the next five years.

The funds will be spent on waste collection infrastructure mainly in Africa and Asia, on technology for recycling and re-use of waste. 

Amid rising consumer concern over plastic waste, other consumer goods heavyweights have individually pledged to reduce waste.

Heinz, Nestle, Unilever and Henkel claim that they aim to make their packaging recyclable, reusable or compostable by 2025.

IHS Markit, global information provider, said in October that 59 per cent of global plastic waste comes from packaging.

Only 10 per cent of the plastic he got through in a year would be recycled, with just four per cent recycled at UK recycling facilities and the rest exported.  

Procter & Gamble and Henkel are currently the only branded consumer goods makers among the Alliance to End Plastic Waste members but a spokesman said more would likely join over the next few weeks.

Cosmetics brand Procter & Gamble has vowed to ‘end the plastic waste crisis' by launching a range of small liquid-free pads. The company has created piece of material that dissolves in the user's hand when water is added and turns into shampoo or face wash

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Honored Contributor

Re: Helping to End the Plastic Waste Crisis

Usually when they change something that means the replacement won't be as effective and cost more.

Honored Contributor

I'll gladly pay more if it helps stop polluting our oceans and planet, but that's just me.

It's just like organic food, it costs more but healthier for you, IMO.

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Esteemed Contributor

All the plastic straws publicity......does anyone else remember when we had paper straws?  Yes, they didn't hold up as well, but they disintegrated in the landfill, too. 

So maybe we need to go back to paper and be a little more careful when using them.  Sometimes I think we are too pampered.

Honored Contributor

Use soap, not gels.  No reason whatsoever for all those gigantic plastic bottles.  A big part of the problem is the huge amount of flavors and scents of everything we buy.  If you cut that in half you would save lots of waste.

People are enticed into trying this stuff, it sits around and gets tossed out not used up.

How many blushes do people need?  How many lipsticks and etc.?  Think of all the waste that creates. 

Respected Contributor

I hope this works.  Any new idea that is "out of the box" is great.  I like to see this type of innovation.  

-- pro-aging --

Rochester, New York
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

It's good these companies are addressing the problem, though I think they're just trying to get ahead of the curve - doing something (their way) before the government forces them (their way).  P&G especially - all those plastic bottles - I've wondered if their executives and employees had a conscience.  The proliferation of body wash in plastic bottles is a crime against the environment.  Bar soap works fine.

Esteemed Contributor

It would also help if more people would actually recycle. Even though in my state you are suppose to recycle, there are many that probably don't. 

There is no recycle pick-up unless you pay the extra yearly charge. 

Honored Contributor

I recycle everything so I don't need a special formulation.  Let California have it. 

Just to steam for a second:

I really don't need anymore companies babysitting me with how and when I want to use their products. 

Nor do I have the money to keep paying higher prices for their latest and greatest price increaser for their bottom lines.

I have been priced out of enough stuff as it is.   It's one thing when you leave the less expensive option available.  It's another when everything gets replaced and you have to start making other choices to keep up.  

I know the millenial generation is all about corporate social responsibilty and that's probably the market here but let me do my own donations and/or recycling and allow some of us to continue to pay for tradition.  

Honored Contributor

@riley1 wrote:

It would also help if more people would actually recycle. Even though in my state you are suppose to recycle, there are many that probably don't. 

There is no recycle pick-up unless you pay the extra yearly charge. 

We are good about recycling in this house.

We have two collection bins, one for glass, plastic and cans, the other for paper.

Have a neighbor - there are 5 of them in the house, they have been here going on 19 years and they have never, ever recycled one piece of paper...

We don't pay an extra charge for recycling pick-up.