Honored Contributor

Helping the hurricane four-legged victims

[ Edited ]

note to mods-if this is better in pet forum, please move -thank you.

I didn't want it to get mixed up with all the discussion about all charities.

I know many of us especially are interested in contributing to charities for helping the animals

not just because we love them and they depend on us but so many charities are mostly or exclusively for helping humans of all sizes!

So, I have been trying to research before any giving.

Some have suggested these same things so you may already know this or they may have been mentioned in other threads.

Note: some of these, esp. non-profits will not have ratings or info on charity navigator and charity watch sites but just putting them in the search bar will give info and maybe reviews.

In general-

Pilots N Paws

and Wings of Rescue

(as mentioned by @Noel7)

both highly rated non-profits with all volunteer pilots-they are both incredibly dedicated.

Depending on where you live, your local Humane Society. You can search reviews or use charity navigator to see the ratings.Some are great, some not so much.

Many of the nearby states' humane socities are taking in rescues from the hurricane states, so they need extra funds!

For Texas Harvey animals-

Texas Humane society

Houston Humane Society

both with extremely high ratings from charity navigator.

For Irma animal help-

It was more difficult to find reputable ones in FL!

I finally decided on the animal rescue sites greater good. When you call the number , you can ask them to donate to specifically Irma or Harvey and animals or humans. 

You can read all they have already done in these hurricanes saying 100% of donations is used for help and rescue for the animals.

Note-The animal rescue site and Greater Good also co-ordinate with Wings of Rescue and Humane Societies and others to get the animals the help they need.

The animal rescue site is also the one you can click on every day (for free and no sign ups) and every click goes to donate food to a cat or dog in shelters. I found when I called the phone number I could also request that they not "share" my info with other affiliates so you are not bombarded with stuff. You don't have to give your email either if you don't want a receipt.

I hope others will continue to share good info as you find it!

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Honored Contributor

Re: Helping the hurricane four-legged victims

The agency in Houston, highly rated, with the most experience and expertise in assisting animals during disasters is the Houston SPCA.  There were featured for years, now in reruns, on Animal Planet's Animal Cops Houston which showcased their cruelty investigations and prosecutions.  They are the only rescue group with facilities and equipment for rescuing livestock, including many horses.  They have a horse adoption program.

They get my money. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Kachina624-

I just looked up reviews for Houston SPCA and there are many accusations of questionable euthanization of pitbulls rescued from Harvey and at other times.

Also accusations of these practices by the bestfriends organization and the mayors task force report, stating that they euthanize 65% of the animals taken in. If true, very upsetting to say the least. There are many such reviews like this for them.

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

:Smiley SadSmiley SadSmiley SadSmiley Sad

@on the bay wrote:

@Kachina624-

I just looked up reviews for Houston SPCA and there are many accusations of questionable euthanization of pitbulls rescued from Harvey and at other times.

Also accusations of these practices by the bestfriends organization and the mayors task force report, stating that they euthanize 65% of the animals taken in. If true, very upsetting to say the least. There are many such reviews like this for them.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I know one of our local organizations has made several trips and put boots on the ground and went down and rescued lots of animals.  

SAN ANTONIO PETS ALIVE INC
Street Address1017 NORTH MAIN AVE
City, State, ZipSAN ANTONIO, TX 78212-4723

They also partner with other animal groups and if they get overcrowded they move the animals to a shelter in the U.S. that has room instead of euthanizing animals...

They are not rated on charity navigator because they haven't been in existance for 7 years so they havent submitted the required documents for that time period that Charity Navigator requires.....They came into existence to fill in the gap between Animal Control Services and other animal organizations, to make SA a no-kill city. sometimes they take in animals that the other agenices won't because of health issues, etc. 

Another good one here is the Animal defense League ---a no kill sheter 4 star rating by charity navaigator......... 

https://adltexas.org/

https://adltexas.org/programs-services/foster-care/prepping-for-hurricane-harvey/

Animal Defense League of Texas
11300 Nacogdoches Road
San Antonio, TX 78217
tel: (210) 655-1481
fax: (210) 655-4498
EIN: 74-6002033

There are other animal organizations but one just works with mostly wildlife orphans and the other did not get such a good rating 3 stars..a lot of their cost goes to administrative expense.

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

@on the bay  I do know they've been at odds with Best Friends over the placement of pit bulls who fail their behavior testing.  They don't have facilities for permanent long term care and if an animal shows aggressive tendencies they will not place it up for adoption.  There are too many pit bulls that fall into this category; what to do with them when they are a potential danger to the public and staff of a facility? 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

I live in the southeast and my local humane society rescued many pets from Texas and I'm sure they will do the same from FL.   I prefer to donate locally so I will make a donation to them.   So far I've purchased a couple of t-shirts, proceeds going to Texas.

Even the humane society as far away as Chicago has helped.   

I mention all this to let you know that your local shelter or humane society may need your money now.  They may be participating in the pet rescue.

Wings of Rescue is helping move the animals, they are also going to the Caribbean islands to assist in rescue.

Or just make a donation to your nearest no-kill shelter in honor of all the pets displaced, I know they could use it.

@on the bay

Honored Contributor

FLKeys SPCA: They evacuated 200 animals last week and hope to bring them all back ASAP.  The shelter will be overrun with newly abandoned animals who will need care and possibly medical attention upon return.  Plus, we will need foster homes for owners who will be living in temporary places that don't allow pets. www.fkspca.org

Key West Wildlife Center: KWWC needs funds to repair damaged outdoor recovery cages, replace food supplies lost without refrigeration, and care for native wildlife injured in the storm. www.keywestwildlifecenter.org

Fate whispers to her, "You cannot withstand the storm." She whispers back, "I am the storm."

Honored Contributor

Hi @software-

I always donate to our local humane society-my favorite!

I did for the Texas/Houston one too.

And for Irma, the animal rescue/greater good.

I was just making suggestions in case others needed them.

I'm glad you have a good humane society!

I know ours is taking in rescues from FL.

During Harvery, people gave all kinds of great suggestions for who to donate to. I had a harder time finding specific ones to Irma so I thought we could all give our ideas.

Honored Contributor

Throwing in my 2 cents.

Texas Sporting Breed Rescue, Inc.
415 East Sherman Street, A1
Denton, TX 76209

I have worked with, adopted from, cried with, and donated to this group.

They are fine people, you can find them on line.

I am aware that they work with Sporting Breeds, but they have helped many others.  If this is not for you, or offends you ~ please just walk on by.

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras